What's new

More info on Yamaha RX-V1200/2200/HTR-5490 (1 Viewer)

Yamaha have recently suplied aditional info on their new receiver-line.:
At the Japan-site: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...fo/rxv1200.pdf http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...fo/rxv2200.pdf
And the US-Site: http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...R00010HTR-5490 http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...R00010RX-V1200
Some reflections:
The RX-V1200 (and HTR-5490) is a downgrade ampwise (6x80W vs. 5x100),
compared to the slightly lower priced RX-V1000, which it is obviously replacing.
On the decoding side, there seems to be notthing lacking, including DTS-ES Discrete,
DTS Neo:6, and DPL II. Lets hope the DPL II is a full-version, and not the
light-version that Marantz and Onkyo have supplied.
Both RX-V1200 and RX-V2200 have skipped the RS232-input found on
RX-V1000 and higher models. IMO disapointing.
This particular detail from the Japanese site is interesting:
"The 9 channels consist of Main L/R, Center, Rear L/R Rear Center,
Tront Effect L/R and Subwoofer (LFE) channels. Front effect channel
signals are mixed with main channel signals to achieve more precise separation
of dialogue, music and effects on the front sound stage".
This is stated as an explanation to the fact that RX-V1200/2200 has
96kHz/24-bit DAC for 9 channels.
In other words, the RX-V1200/2200 seem to have DSPs for front-effect
channels like earlier top models, but no amps, or even pre-outs for them.
Instead they offer a (HRTF-assisted?) down-mix to front-channels.
What I don`t quite understand, is
1. Why not at least pre-outs for front-effect channels, once they have
already suplied DACS for these channels? The extra cost should be minimal.
2. Why suply DACs for these channels? I asume all processing (including eventualy
HRTF) + downmixing is happening in the digital domain.
Regards
Karl Erik Sylthe

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
>> The RX-V1200 (and HTR-5490) is a downgrade ampwise (6x80W vs. 5x100), compared to the slightly lower priced RX-V1000, which it is obviously replacing.
I'm not sure if this is an accurate statement. If you look on the links you provided, they both are noted to have... "The amp delivers 80 watts each to six channels." If you look on the specifications pages you see...
"""""""
MAIN, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.04% THD, 8 80W + 80W
CENTER, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.04% THD, 8 80W
REAR, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.04% THD 8 80W + 80W
"""""""
and
"""""""
MAIN, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.04% THD, 8 80W + 80W
CENTER, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.04% THD, 8 80W
REAR, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.04% THD, 8 80W + 80W
"""""""
Both are the same. Now, I've seen the 5490 as being 100w (1khz) which is just a different way of measuring the output (as I understand it).
I would bet that they need to correct their website to include the rear center channel. Yamaha needs to fix this.
>>The RX-V1200 (and HTR-5490) is a downgrade ampwise (6x80W vs. 5x100), compared to the slightly lower priced RX-V1000, which it is obviously replacing.
I think the RX-V1000 is being replaced with the RX-V2200 and the RX-V800 is being replaced with the RX-V1200. This would align more with the price points (and what I was told at an audio/video store). They didn't have a brochure but pulled up both parts on their computer and guessed that this is how they align. This seems to make more sense to me.
With all this said, thanks for pointing out that Yamaha finally put the complete 1200 info sheet on the web. Now we only need to wait for the 2200. I'm also waiting to see what replaces the 3000. That's more interesting to me because I want front effect channels. :)

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if SEARS will carry it. Anybody who works at BESTBUYS, do they have them? Someone mentioned it was delivered to there store on Tuesday.
Charles.......
------------------
The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Interesting to see the dynamic power ratings on the 2200. As I understand it one of the indicators of a good amp is how close it gets to doubling its rated WPC at 8ohms when it's outputting at 4 ohms. The website is saying that the 2200 is putting out 200 WPC at 4 ohms. I thought that in theory the amp can literally double the power but in reality it's difficult to do, at least with mid-fi eqpm. If the 2200 is actually capable of a literal doubling of dynamic power then I'm interested. My current Yamaha doesn't do it that's for sure.
Anyway, that's my understanding. If I'm wrong then someone feel free to smack my up side the head and tell me I'm an idiot :)
BTW, I'm disappointed to see that the bass management cutoff is still at 90hz. I think that's a bit high and I wish Yamaha would agree with me.
Oh well, there's always the ICBM I guess...
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Charles,
I suspect that you won't find the 2200 at Sears. A bit too high a price point for them. You may see the 1200 but I'm not positive.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry Jim, I meant the 5490. I'm hearing that BESTBUYS will cary the 5490 for around $899, so SEARS might carry it too. I went to my nearest SEARS and asked, but the salesguys never know what's going on. I seems like the consumer knows more about new products or products than they do. They did say if they did get it in, they would internet price match it. That's a plus. It would seem to me that if consumers kept asking to same questions, that they would get on the phone an ask a rep from Yamaha.
Charles
------------------
The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
These two pages list Yamaha's suggested prices for these receivers:
http://Yamaha.com/yec/products/price...rice_conce.htm http://Yamaha.com/yec/products/price...rice_audio.htm
These are higher than the models they are apparently replacing. I hope the final retail prices are more in line with the previous models pricing. Especially in the case of the HTR 5490 which seems to be a downgrade in some respects.
I was considering a purchase of the HTR 5280 in spite of the much maligned remote, but now I'm torn between getting it now or spending more than I should on the 1200 or 2200.
I still really need new speakers too. Mine are some 30 year old generic brand (Barron Acoustilinear?) over-sized "bookshelf" stereo speakers I got when I originally bought my old Pioneer SX-424 receiver. Not what I need for 5.1 channel sound.

Josh LeClair

Agent
I don't think my Best Buy has gotten them in yet, i'll check when I head in for work later today. As for $899 I can't honestly see them going for that much. As it was the 5280 at the $799 price didn't sell as well as Yamaha had expected, dropping the price to $599 helped move the 5280 a lot quicker, you think they would try pricing the 5490 at a similar level, $699 or so.

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
Yamaha has now updated their web comparison charts to include the RX-V1200 & 2200 along side the RX-V1000 and RX-V800 at:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/c...receiver_7.htm
Nothing yet about the HTR-5490 though. Also on the main What's New page for the RX-V1200 it states the remote is macro capable, but on the comparison chart it says it is not, whereas the RX-V2200 clearly is on both listings. Anyone know which is correct for the RX-V1200 or is there some subtle difference that is too technical for the copywriters?

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
Well, I think I found my answer regarding the RX-V1200 remote's macro capabilities. Yamaha has now posted the .PDF file manuals for the 1200 and 2200. They do have different remotes and the 1200 does NOT appear to have macro capability according to the manual although the other Yamaha info sheets online indicate it does. This seems to be a clear error on the part of Yamaha's copywriters and will be a big disappointment if someone gets it home only to find it doesn't have the functions promoted in Yamaha's P.R.
Do any of you feel macro capabile remotes are a function worth having? I currently have five remotes and would like to consolidate most of the functions on one master if practical.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Here's an idea , go to the local retailers which now have them and LOOK at the remote and see if it has macros, if not wait for the 2200 I'm sure it has them, many mfgrs early spec sheets have wrong or mis-translated info and are not the best way to identify the feature set...you should confirm neccesary features at the same time you evaluate SOUND QUALITY...

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What is the difference between the 800,1000,2000 & 3000 and the now 1200 2200 and all those other ones that all start with 5 like HTR-5490 , HTR-5280 , HTR-5460 , HTR-5250 , HTR-5450 , HTR-5240 , HTR-5440 , HTR-5230 etc ??? I don't mean ALL the differences, just, what is the general difference between the model lines.
The feature list of the 1200 and 2200 looks pretty good, thats for sure. I wonder how they'll sound?
[Edited last by Chris PC on October 21, 2001 at 09:46 AM]

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
Mathew J S, yes I do intend to go to a dealer and listen to them. I always prefer to have as much info as possible on a product before I go into a store and it was my impression that these models were just now being released and are not available in a lot of stores. Although some online retailers seem to be listing at least the HTR5490 now. I haven't had a chance to get to a local Yamaha retailer since their release. Has anyone actually seen and heard any of these models?

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
5490 vs 1200 ,as I understand it they only differ in that the 5490 has no removable /replaceable power cord and lacks the remote triggers found on the 1200, I believe the amps ARE identicle differing only in the way output is measured... I have played with the 1200 at work ,though not as extensively as I would like (yet), and find it to be quite the "comer" in it's price point! Great sounding ampswith good dynamics ,even when driving large mirages in "large" mode (om7's)...give it a listen and for what its worth ,though I don't nit-pick remotes (cause they don't have anything to do with sound quality), I found the layout of the remote fairly nice and the little display window that told you what your controling seems to be pretty good. For this price point I prefer that the mnfgr spend the money on quality of amps/construction/flexibility/ proccessors, etc. it seems that Yamaha is sticking with it's tradition of quality!

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
As I understand from reading the product literature, the 5490 does not have pre-outs while the 1200 does.
Also, does anyone know when the 1200 and 2200 will hit Canada and at what cost?
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks