What's new

More GR Research cabinet pics (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Guys,
Here are some more GR Research cabinet pics. They are A/V-1+ cabinets in maple veneer with red mahogany dye and A/V-1 cabinets in oak veneer with jet black dye.
The A/V-1+ pics came out very dark and I had to play with them a bit to get them to look decent. The pics really don't do them justice. They really are much, much nicer in person. The A/V-1 pics are pretty much dead on.
Click Link Removed and scroll down to the last 4 pictures at the bottom.
Brian

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Pretty F'n sweet!!!
Tell me, how do you make your grills? I know there is some type of magnet system but what else?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

Thanks for the compliment!

Danny had the grills and baffles made by a shop out in Oklahoma I believe. They use 1/4" neodymium magnets buried into the grill and the baffle so that you do not have any externally visible grill guides. They are strong enough that they are easily held in place through the veneer and are self-aligning.

Brian

Martice

Screenwriter
HOT HOT HOT!!!!!
As the say in my new language I'm working on:
GEWITOROP :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Translation:
Those are some beautiful cabinets you have there Brian. You definitely have the skills to thrill and the grills send chills from New York to the Georgia hills. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Rap Master Ice Tray and Wood Worker 'B' what a team!!
:alien:

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
man, that magnet idea is great for the grills, but would that be a concern if your speaker wasn't properly shielded? Maybe I'm missing something.

Either way, great work!

A

Anthony_Gomez

looking good as usual brian=)

for curiosity sake, what do you charge for a pair of those mahogany dyed cabinets?

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I use rare earth magnets for door contacts in home alarm syatems. They might work. They are designed to contersunk into the door and are 3/8" in dia. if you stick two together you will have a hell of a time unsticking them:angry: they are about 1/4" deep. So If you can't find them ask a local alarm company for some. I don't believe they are very expensive. And brian, great work as always:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Rare Earth Magnets ah...
How are the grills made. Are they a wood frame covered in fabric. Are they molded plastic. I want to make grills for my set up but don't know what material to use.
Thanks.
Chris

Ryan T

Second Unit
Those look awesome Brian! The more pics of GR-research speakers I see the more I want to finish my pair. I'm wondering if you know of any easy way to cover my speakers? I don't want anything fancy just plain black would be fine. I was going to just cover them in black automotive carpet but I've heard that the carpet is not very good looking. One problem I have is that the cabinet edges are not 100 % straight. Got any suggestions?

Ryan

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys! Sorry I'm so late to respond. My wife and I flew out to Austin Friday night to attend one of their local HTF meets. We were able to meet Hank Frankenberg and Danny Richie. Both are really great guys and we had a lot of fun. Hank is so laid back I had to reach over and check his pulse a few times! :) And he had the strangest look on his face when one of the guys played a littel music from Radiohead!
Joe, I'm not sure what your concerns are with the magnets. They do not affect the speaker's performance at all, nor vice versa.
Tony, the A/V-1+ cabinets are $370/pair plus $75/pair with any sort of dye applied.
Kevin, I'm not sure where Danny's grill/baffle maker found the magnets. Hank found them pretty cheap somewhere. I just don't have the link handy at the moment.
Chris, the grills are made from 1/2" MDF.
Ryan, you'd probably be better off using a 1/2-3/4" roundover on all the cabinet edges, priming them, and then using a textured finish or some sort.
Brian

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dam, those are nice cabinets, I especially like the red dyed maple ones! BTW, that Magnetic grill is trick!

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
1/2" MDF, Got it.
I take it you cut out the shape you want, then give it about a 1/2" to 5/8" width for the grill then cut out the center. Drill holes, recess the magnets, glue in, cover with wood fill, paint, and now you have a cool looking grill cover!!!
Sound about right? That is what I and going to do.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

That's about right, although I didn't do them so I don't know exactly the steps taken. I think the frame thickness is around 3/4" but it's hard to tell since both the inner and outer edges are rounded over. There's also a rabbet cut out of the back of the grill where the woofer is because they are surface mounted. If your woofers are flush mounted it's not necessary.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks