What's new

More from Anchor Bay in 2005 (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Sorry to ask this again but I still did not get an answer.

For Mischief what are we talking about "missing" in a widescreen version? What will this open matte transfer reveal?

I ask because requesting open matte from AB (who has thank God stopped wasting disk space on Fool Screen versions) could deliver the wrong message. I want to know if we are suspending our principles for something substantial.

So what is boys?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Rolando, the open matte scenes reveal more nudity than the matted version that was never intended to be seen. It's just a bunch of horny boys looking to peek under someone's skirt so to speak. Is it any wonder Laura Harring asked David Lynch to darken her nudes scenes for the DVD release of Mulholland Drive? I doubt if Ms. Preston or Ms. Harring ever intended to be freeze framed and leered over.

Open matte often reveals more nudity. In the open matte laser disc of Swing Shift, Ed Harris gives a glimpse of his penis which cannot be seen in the properly matted DVD.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

This has always seemed odd to me. Why would the director have Kelly Preston totally nude if her bottom half was never meant to be seen? I guess they were filming safe for 4:3, but that does not explain why the guy had covering. The director could have used a hard matte, or they could have used Pan and Scan for that paticular shot. I say, just put the Open Matte beaver shot on the DVD as an easter egg.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Bloody brilliant idea! Sure would solve just about everything, but seems to make a bit too much sense to actually happen...it really all depends on what materials Fox provides Anchor Bay with.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Based on the amount of movies, Kelly Preston has shown skin in, maybe she just likes to be naked. (You see a tad more breast in the P&S version included on the Secret Admirer DVD BTW)
Then again, it's pretty common in filming movie nude scenes that the woman has to be completely naked and the guy gets some kind of covering.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Damnation Alley! Always liked that movie growing up. Kinda cheesy but...

Wish they would release Night of the Commet.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Anchor Bay has announced the following FOX titles. All Anamorphic transfers with trailers and some cases featurettes.

1/25:

DEATH HUNT
DOWNTOWN
OFF LIMITS
THE TURNING POINT

2/22:

BUTCH & SUNDANCE:THE EARLY DAYS
BYE BYE LOVE
MODERN PROBLEMS
ZORRO, THE GAY BLADE

3/8:

29TH STREET
DUTCH
RHINESTONE
VANISHING POINT (1997 TV REMAKE)

Patrick.C

Second Unit

I just wish they would do a new transfer of AOD. The one they use on all of their various versions is terrible.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but Amazon has a date of 4/19 for "License to Drive". A little earlier than the "Summer" release mentioned on Anchor Bay's site.

They also have "The Pirate Movie" coming out on 3/22.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I really can't see AB putting Kelly's naughty bits on the disc as an easter egg, that just seems a little odd to me for them to do that. I mean the only reason to do that is to allow people to see her down below parts, it's too direct and explcit and doesn't really respect her at all.

I am also with Rolando, be extremely careful about what you ask a studio to do. Imagine if enough people ask for the fool-screen and OAR version, something doesn't get translated to the folks that will master the disc and we end up with a FF only release by mistake. Not likely to happen but why introduce this possibility into the picture?

Hey, don't get me wrong, i'm a Kelly fan going way back and think she's still a damn fine woman, but I don't really need to see that quick 1 or 2 second shot to enjoy the movie or appreciate her body.

Anchor Bay, please release this film in it's OAR only, thank you.

I can't wait for The Entity either! One of the scariest films ever made, it will go nicely with The Changeling as a double feature. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm with you, John. I want the movie OAR. That certainly won't cut out of the frame the image that propelled me into puberty. :)

And, as I said a couple months back, the movie is really good regardless of any such content. It's much better as a movie than the toilet humor passed off as comedy today.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Well if it will be OAR only, another reason to hang on to my LD of MISCHIEF, thanks God for LD.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The Turning Point is due for release very soon. several sites have this listed as mon. but it was stereo in theaters and on the laserdisc. Does anyone have the new dvd?

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
It frustrates me that no one will license Shock Treatment (1981) from Fox.

Maybe Fox isn't letting anyone license it...

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

It's not exactly the same situation, but Anchor Bay did include deleted scenes featuring more of Tanya Roberts' generous endowments for their The Beastmaster DVD. I've not seen these extra scenes so I do not know if they contain anything of significance beyond additional glimpses of Ms. Roberts sans clothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks