What's new

"Monk" Season 8 thread (2 Viewers)

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Scott-S ">[/url]

I have climbed over those rock cliffs. They are really cool looking and are really close to LA. I bet that is why they get used so much.

Here is a link to the Wiki for Vasquez Rocks.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
When we sojourn out West to see some of our extended family one day, I am going to make Vasquez Rocks one of our stops. I know that we'd love to see it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Adam,

Thanks again for the reminder. I taped it last night. I wish Psych had been on after it, but it wasn't.

Anyway, I can't wait to see this (and a new episode) tonight.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This season is bitter sweet for me, one of my favorite shows is back but we will be losing Mr. Adrian Monk after this. That girl gets sweeter looking every year.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Glad it worked out for you, Scott! I know it's not quite as good as watching on the TV, but the "Psych" episode is up on Hulu here:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/90995/psych-high-noonish#s-p1-so-i0

The 480P mode and much cleaner interface makes the experience a lot better than the USA Network website.

Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer! That girl gets sweeter looking every year.

I think I remember an old interview with Andy Breckman, where he said that Emmy Clarke (who plays Julie) lives with her family in southeastern Connecticut now and so they only go through the expense of flying her crosscountry and putting her up during episodes where she plays a significant role. She will be back for at least one episode, and probably more. She one of my favorite characters on the show too.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I too like Julie. And I may be the only one who feels this way, but I think Julie and Benji are quite similar in many ways. It's something about their soft demeanor and a gentle quality each of them have.

Adam,

I loved Mr. Monk and the UFO. I actually suspected the car mechanic for a while there. But when I saw the brother, I was fairly certain it was him, although I didn't have the motive.

The running gags were a hoot in this episode. I also mentioned above how much I loved the locale in this one. BTW, was Disher absent from the entire episode? I don't recall too many where he isn't there. (Mr. Monk Gets Stuck In Traffic didn't have either he or Stottlemeyer in it, I believe.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
While I generally dislike contrived episodes like this one where a character switches places with a stranger that happens to look completely identical, I otherwise liked this particular one quite a bit. I was prepared for a rehash of "Mr. Monk Meets the Godfather", thankfully they mined different beats from the situation. This is the kind of episode I was trying to point to when discussed with Joe non-mythology episodes. There's nothing about the larger plotline with Trudy in this episode, but it's an episode that showcases how far he's come over the years. Monk even a few seasons ago would never have been able to pull this off, especially getting the gun off the rookie assassin. The last scene was played perfectly, even if I doubt the fridge installer would be instantly more intimidated by Natalie, because it leaves Monk still believing that he has moved forward a little.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Adam,

I didn't see tonight's episode (I was actually watching Mr. Monk and the UFO tonight while the newest episode aired, and am taping the new one as well as Psych later this evening.)

I saw the teaser for an upcoming episode where Monk seemingly identifies Trudy's killer face-to-face. Of course, we don't see who it is. But I thought that was quite interesting.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
There's nothing about the larger plotline with Trudy in this episode, but it's an episode that showcases how far he's come over the years. Monk even a few seasons ago would never have been able to pull this off, especially getting the gun off the rookie assassin.
Agreed. But I was also surprised that they didn't get in a reference to Trudy, because that would have been a natural thing for Stottlemeyer to bring up in his "You are a tough guy" speech. For someone like Monk, just surviving an event like Trudy's murder without killing himself or going completely mad required a core of toughness, to say nothing of how far back he's come.

Loved all the Natalie "Teagerb" stuff. (Also loved Kelly Carlson. Dramatically Nip/Tuck has never been my cup of tea, so I've only caught bits and pieces of it, but - damn! She was seriously rockin' that red dress. Wish I were set up to do screen grabs)

BTW, was Disher absent from the entire episode? I don't recall too many where he isn't there.
I have a feeling that one of the ways they were able to hold the budget down to get the 8th season was by not having the entire cast in every episode. On a show with a typical 22 episode season, the title character would get "X" per episode and be guaranteed payment for 22. But a supporting regular might only be guaranteed 18, and have a salary based on that number. Any extra episodes would trigger an additional payment, but such an actor would still be paid for 18 if the writers only used the character in 16 or 17. Monk may have cut the number of episodes to the point where they can only use the whole ensemble in the episodes where they're really needed.

Regards,

Joe

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams

My impression was that Disher was playing the chauffeur who opened the limo door for Monk at the LA hotel.
Disher was in this week's episode several times. It's "Mr. Monk and the UFO" that Disher didn't appear in.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
There was a mini-marathon of Monk last night, however. I got to see a couple of episodes I'd only seen once before. And the episode of Psych I missed a couple of weeks ago aired at 11 p.m., which was nice.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great episode tonight. I knew we were in for something special when we got the "Here's What Happened" in the cold open. Jay Mohr seemed to be channeling his character Peter Dragon from "Action" -- in a good way. My only disappointment with the episode is that we didn't get to see the rematch between Monk and Harrison Powell. The perfectly executed final beat almost made up for it, though.

It was nice to see Randy being semi-competent again, and the strong side of Monk. I've been going through the third and fourth seasons on DVD, and this episode could have fit right in with those as opposed to the broader comedy of the more recent seasons. And it must be said, the years were not pretty to the Home Alone 3 kid.

For those wondering where Julie is, she should be in next week's episode unless USA aired the wrong promo.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

My only disappointment with the episode is that we didn't get to see the rematch between Monk and Harrison Powell.
I had the same exact thought myself.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Joe_H

I had the same exact thought myself.
Adam, Joe,

Exactly. There was at least one other episode of Monk where this occurred -- the culprit did not have to face-off with Monk, but rather we are told that all went well (in Monk's favor) at the conclusion of the episode. I am not certain that the adversary was a lawyer, however.

One of the most pleasing parts of this episode for me was when Natalie and others were telling Monk that they would have to get to know his enemy, study him, anticipate his every move, etc. -- and Monk apparently shrugs off the advice. (The dialogue between Monk and Monk into the mirror was well done, I thought.) Then, the next time we see Powell, his words are exactly as Monk had voiced them previously. When Powell echoed Monk's predictions regarding his own words, that was priceless. So Monk had been studying his opponent, and we didn't know it -- or at least this viewer didn't know it.

Another fine moment was when Monk told Powell "No you aren't" (or words to that effect) when Powell said he would be looking forward to a rematch. The expression on Powell's face was beyond surprise -- it was almost one of fear.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Exactly. There was at least one other episode of Monk where this occurred -- the culprit did not have to face-off with Monk, but rather we are told that all went well (in Monk's favor) at the conclusion of the episode.
Well, this episode was a little different because Monk had two adversaries - the actual murderer and the lawyer. We did get to see the "here's what happened" reveal with the killer (for the second murder. The first killing was basically covered in the testimony.) True, we didn't get to see the second courtroom confronation, but there are only 40-some minutes per episode, and I don't think it would have been that interesting. Seeing Monk on the ropes is dramatic and unusual. Seeing Monk in control and in command of the facts isn't. Nor would watching Mohr's character squirm have been all that interesting, because we're not as emotionally invested in him. I think the writers did the right thing in skipping over what would have been an anti-climax (dramatically speaking), however emotionally satisfying, and moving on to the effect of the win on the characters.

BTW, am I the only one who loved Monk's cure for the hiccups? I think we were still seeing some of the new confidence that Monk developed during the Mafia case - and maybe the reason for his cockiness before he took the stand. In any case, I loved Natalie's reaction, and Randy's. They both clearly believed, if only for a split second, that Monk might be capable of doing exactly what he said.

Regards,

Joe

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good episode yesterday. I like ones that invert the formula; it reminded me of the superior "Mr. Monk and the Girl Who Cried Wolf" where Sharona was driven nearly insane. I was happy to see Mitch come back to the foreground again, since that was a story thread we haven't heard about in a while. And I always like Meat Loaf.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks