What's new

Modify a Klipsch KSW-12 sub? (1 Viewer)

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm unhappy with my sub. Unfortunately, we are planning to buy a house soon, so my won't let me truly upgrade until then. :frowning:

What I'm wondering is if I could buy something like a Shiva driver and replace the driver in my Klipsch with it, and if that would make any improvement. I'm not sure how many liters the Klipsch KSW-12 is. I also don't know if the amp would cut it. It's 140 watts rms and 440 peak.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ian

Cam S

Screenwriter
It would be a total waste. That sub/amp/box/port combo in the KSW-12 wade made ONLY for that specific combo. I have a KSW-10, and I was thinking something like you were, but I just went ahead and made a whole new sub with the Shiva/AVA250 combo, and I love it. I moved the KSW-10 to the upstairs 2 channel system and it is WAY better up there than downstairs. I think it has alot to do with the room and the fact it has wood floors opposed to concrete floors. The Shiva is still 10x Louder, without breaking a sweat.

The funny thing is that ever ported speaker I have seen always has a HUGE amount of air moving through the port, and will eventually have some port noise. I have NEVER experienced ANY port noise with mine, it's just amazing.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'll differ on my opinion somewhat with respect to Cam, as I do believe a quality driver can always help in most situations (most sub drivers lack in excursion, too high in FS, and very small motor structures). The main problem you'll have with the Shiva driver most likely is that the current cutout hole is too small, possible cross-brace problem (I'd bet the Shiva driver is deeper), and of course port noise (the Shiva has a much greater sweep).

The main thing I see is that I think your bass performance would improve over the stock Klipsch but in reality you would short change the potential of the Shiva (and thus yourself) and would not have a sub to sell to offset the Shiva upgrade. I definitely agree with Cam that if you really want a true upgrade build the box around the driver and go for the performance that both you and the driver really deserve.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
:D , DAMN, I was just thinking of doing this to my old JBL PSW1000........thanks for answering my question:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks