What's new

Mits WS-65907: Black Enhancement off = better shadow detail! (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Tonight I thought I'd treat myself and watch "The Outlaw Josey Wales". Halfway through, I noticed that some of the really dark scenes in this movie were, well, really dark! I went into the menu of my Mits WS-65907 and turned the "Black Enhancement" to the "Off" setting. Went back to the movie, replayed the same dark scene, and...wow! detail in the background I never knew was there!
When I bought the TV I set B.E. to "On" and sort of forgot about it. The reason I had Black Enhancement set to "On" previously was because I made the assumption that this setting corresponded to +7.5 IRE. Since my Pioneer Elite DV-37 is set for +7.5 IRE, I wanted to match the settings. I'm making the assumption that the B.E. settings do not relate to this, but can anyone confirm this? If it does not correspond to +7.5 IRE, when would using Black Enhancement be useful?
Now that I see all of this detail I want to go back and rewatch all my movies!
------------------
Scott

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Your original belief about the control was backwards. If the signal has black at the normal North American NTSC 7.5 as in most sources, the RPTV should be set to BE OFF. If the source has black at 0 IRE (aka black enhanced signal), then the RPTV is set BE ON so the RPTV can compensate.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Your original belief about the control was backwards.
The story of my life!
(seriously) Guy, thanks so much. I'm not sure how I would verify that the signal has black at the normal North American NTSC 7.5, but I have to assume that it does, based on my qualitative observation of improved shadow detail. Is there any way to verify this?
Thanks for the help.
------------------
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks