What's new

Mits 55613 + DVD ? (1 Viewer)

WilliamZ

Agent
I just bought a new 55613 TV and I have a question regarding how it handles non-progressive scan dvd players.

I have a 3 year old regular player and I heard somewhere that the integrated line doubler within the tv might be better than buying a $100 Progressive Scan player.

Currently, I'm not sure how to make it convert the signal from the old player. The old player is hooked up via component wires and the TV lists the output as 480i.

Question:

When it says 480i is it converting it to 480p? or is there a setting that I have to use? or is the info that I heard about newer HDTV converting 480i signals to 480p false?

Thx in advance.

WilliamZ

Agent
I just bought a new 55613 TV and I have a question regarding how it handles non-progressive scan dvd players.

I have a 3 year old regular player and I heard somewhere that the integrated line doubler within the tv might be better than buying a $100 Progressive Scan player.

Currently, I'm not sure how to make it convert the signal from the old player. The old player is hooked up via component wires and the TV lists the output as 480i.

Question:

When it says 480i is it converting it to 480p? or is there a setting that I have to use? or is the info that I heard about newer HDTV converting 480i signals to 480p false?

Thx in advance.

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
William,

I've been wondering the same thing about non-progressive DVD players with an HDTV...

From everything I have read, the Mitsu WILL upconvert the 480i DVD signal from a non-progressive scan player to 480p for display.

I just ordered one of the last 55313's from Sears but won't be getting a progressive scan DVD player right away - I'm wondering what the difference in PQ will be if anyone as compared this scenario on a Mitsu.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
William,

I've been wondering the same thing about non-progressive DVD players with an HDTV...

From everything I have read, the Mitsu WILL upconvert the 480i DVD signal from a non-progressive scan player to 480p for display.

I just ordered one of the last 55313's from Sears but won't be getting a progressive scan DVD player right away - I'm wondering what the difference in PQ will be if anyone as compared this scenario on a Mitsu.

Thanks,
Rob

WilliamZ

Agent
Rob,

Glad to know that I'm not the only one.

Anyway, a friend lent me his cheap $~50 Toshiba Progressive scan dvd player. The Mitsu TV recognized it as 480p, but I was hard pressed to say that the picture was any better than my 3 year old interlaced player at 480i

Perhaps it was slighly better. Hard to say though.

Based on this experiment, I'm not in any hurray to buy a new progressive one.

Perhaps the tv is doing the line doubling?

WilliamZ

Agent
Rob,

Glad to know that I'm not the only one.

Anyway, a friend lent me his cheap $~50 Toshiba Progressive scan dvd player. The Mitsu TV recognized it as 480p, but I was hard pressed to say that the picture was any better than my 3 year old interlaced player at 480i

Perhaps it was slighly better. Hard to say though.

Based on this experiment, I'm not in any hurray to buy a new progressive one.

Perhaps the tv is doing the line doubling?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks