What's new

Missing subtitles everywhere now ! (1 Viewer)

Michael Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
I remember being very upset about MGM´s missing subtitles, especially on titles such as Ronin and Stigmata, and I also remember MGM giving a promise to support subtitles in the future on the HTF chat.

But I really feel the battle for subtitle on dvd´s is moving in the wrong direction. And funny enough the subtitles is missing on a lot of discs, which is otherwise packed with extras and really should be the definitive version of the movie.

Look at all the Anchor Bay limited releases. High priced tin boxes with lots of extras ect, but no subtitles, except when a non-english language is spoken.

Same with Artisan. MGM still, and now even New Lines "Infinifilm", whick lacks subtitles. That really made me angry last night when watching "Blow" and "Rushhour 2" a couple of days ago.

I only dread that they will release LOTR with no subtitles.

Also the Hong Kong legends releases (reg 2) lacks subtitles when english is spoken.

Its really really annoying that you pay top price for a product which lacks subtitles.

Maybe its not as big a war as the OAR-war, but I really cant any reason not to include subtitles.

Just had to get that out.....

Michael Eriksen

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Anchor Bay has rarely included English subtitles on their DVDs unless necessary. They have begun to support Closed Captioning.

New Line Home Entertainment claims that the InfiniFilm option takes up too much of the space allocated for any additional subtitles.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I HATE IT when a movie doesn't have subtitles! There are often times when I can't understand a word or phrase, and subtitles can usually tell me what I missed. Our MAIN reason for wanting them is that we like to have the subtitles on when we listen to an audio commentary, because it helps us keep up.

The most important reason to fight for subtitles though, is that DVDs without subtitles shortchange the deaf and hard of hearing, and that's just criminal.

Vickie

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
One example of a DVD done right is Untitled (The Almost Famous directors cut).
Both the movie and commentary are subtitled. So you can have the movie sound on while looking at the commentary subtitles or vice versa.
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks