Mirrormask?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Aaron Cooke, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

Is anything known about this movie other than Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean, Henson Productions(Dark Crystal, Labrynth)?

Who am i kidding, after hearing that, the only thing i need to know is When is it coming out!

2. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Suprising that no one ever replied to this. Anyway, Cinescape has a brief bit on this here, including a link to Gaiman's online journal and the film's official website.

I had read this was to be only a direct-to-video release, but it looks like it's actually coming to theaters. Groovy; I certainly can't wait. Looks pretty imnpressive.

3. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

FYI - Gaiman announced this past weekend at the Sandman convention in Minneapolis that MirrorMask had been accepted at Sundance. So, it will premiere at the festival in January, then have a limited art-house release, and the dvd release (plus various tie-in books & figurines) in the summer.

He showed a couple of scenes from Mirrormask at the convention. Pretty bizarre-looking (in a good way).

4. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

This came out Tuesday, and a friend and I watched it yesterday.

Very interesting movie. Told almost entirely through absolutely staggering imagery. It was very much like watching a Sandman comic come to life on the screen. Lots of strange and imagative characters, with heavy use of animations and drawings in most of the scenes.

The story tracks a girl's dream on the night her mother is undergoing critical surgery following a collapse. Because of the abstract nature of the story, I hesitate to draw any conclusions about it yet. The reaction my friend had to the story was somewhat different than mine.

What I saw in the imagery was a person's journey through life as they move and ponder, as they are obstructed and tossed about, and as they are taken in hand by the large forces that strive to grip us all against our minor and small independent wills.

I'm curious to see what others thought about this fascinating project from Neil Gaimen.

"Dreams only take you so far. After that, you need cash." -Mirrormask-

5. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

I saw it in the theater a few months ago. I agree, very much a mckean painting come to life. I enjoyed the movie (although I don't think comparisons to labyrinth and dark crystal are valid) but I do think towards the end it started to drag a bit. More humor in the movie than I was expecting too. (that's a good thing btw)

6. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

i really enjoyed watching this, and it was so surreal in the dream mode that i sat there thinking:

this is the crew that needs to do a sandman movie. no big budget. just dave and neil