What's new

Mirage speaker question (1 Viewer)

Scott Stevens

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased a set from the FRX series - 7's for the front, an S10 sub, and the standard center and rears. For a little bit less I could switch the rears (frequency response 75 Hz - 22 kHz) for the 5's (40 Hz - 22 kHz). I was thinking that this might be useful with some of the DTS CDs that I listen to, and probably couldn't hurt for Home Theater. I use a Yamaha RXV-995 receiver.

Anyone running a similar setup, or have any thoughts?

Darrell_L

Auditioning
Hey Scott,

My set-up is a little different than yours, but they are mirage speakers none the less. I'd say for home theater you would have a hard time telling the difference between the two. In my opinion the FRX surround is probably a better choice because it is not a direct firing speaker, so it will give you more of a open surround feel as well as more options when mounting the speaker. ( side wall, back wall, etc.) The FRX-5 would probably give you better sound in a 5 channel stereo set-up or when playing DTS music cd's, but you have less positioning options. So if speaker placement isn't an issue and you listen to a lot of music in 5 channel stereo, i'd say go with the FRX-5's. l8r

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I think it would be a good idea to do that. Eventually, I will have floor standers for rears to. The closer in design and such to the fronts make for a better sound, in a nutshell. I have Mirage OM10s, MC-2 center, OMR2 rears and BPS150i sub. The only thing I'm considering to upgrade is to lose the rears(I believe they are very similar to the FRX series rears) and use the 10s and purchase new fronts, like a pair of OM5s or some 6s if I can find a pair used.

If you have the room and means, I don't think you can lose on this one.

Scott Stevens

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys! Most everyone seems to think that since the DTS music CDs are not listened to very frequently, I should stick with the omnipolar rears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks