What's new

Mini Fridge: Do they even make what I need? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
It seems that I always find myself with a really specific desire when it comes to appliances, furniture, electonics, etc-- and I find myself searching for items that aren't readily available- if they exists at all!!

My most recent search has been for a mini fridge for my room in my new place. I share space in the kitchen with roomates, who have so far behaved much like locusts when it comes to my consumables (mainly cans of soda and bottles of water). Since no one seems to know where my stuff is going, I'd like to just put a fridge in my bedroom and be done with it.

I think what I'm looking for would be more a "compact" fridge rtaher than a mini: I'm looking for a medium sized unit: something in the 2.5-5 cubic foot range... but the kicker is I would love to find something that has 50/50 fridge and freezer space. Everything I've seen in stores has a small "ice tray" style freezer space- when I'd love to find a nice unit that has a 2 shelf freezer and 2 shelf fridge.

The closest I found was on walmart.com:

But I was hoping to find a good sized freezer portion, pref with a single door config and maybe in stainless steel finish... It would be evern better if it was short and wide rather than tall and thin...

I've also considered seeing if anyone sells matching 2.5 cubic foot fridge and freezer i could put on top of one another...

Anyone have suggestions on where I could look??

-V

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure you'll find one that's 50-50, but I think you can find small fridges with the standard freezer/refrig top/bottom configuration.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
vince -

i thought best buy had some mini-fridges, but when i checked the website, i couldn't find them. but i could swear i've seen them there. may be worth a drive.

off-topic: tell your freakin' (so-called) roomates to keep their grubby hands off your shizzle. or you could do like one of my roomies did and mark everything with a sharpie. :)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
We have this one at work. It fits part of the bill, but the freezer is not as large as you would like it. I'm afraid it will be tough to find one with a larger freezer.

Sanyo has this mini freezer.

There's a bunch of stuff to look at on Amazon. Good luck!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We purchased an Avanti refrigerator/freezer to fit into a smaller than standard area of the bar in our basement -- the previous owner finished the basement himself and left the opening too narrow to fit a standard size frig. Ours is around 9 cubic ft, but they make smaller units, too.

Here's a link to some that may fit your need: Avanti compact refrigerators and Avanti apartment size frig/freezers

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Reason #58 for why I live alone.

Just bought something like that so I don't have to go downstairs whenever I want a cold beverage. I held out for something with a light, you might also consider whether or not you want manual defrost. Finally, I'm thinking I want to put my 4.9 cubic foot unit on top of something else so I'm not looking DOWN into all the time.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The ultimate 'flatmate friendly' fridge would be the Bio-Fridge. Biometric access system, online usage notification and browser-based remote user rights management. Every apartment should have one. :)

Now, if only they had mini units...

Do you have Zanussi in the US? The Zanussi ZSS7/5X looks about right:

Also available with steel fascia:

Adam

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I have a Sanyo mini-fridge in my room (mainly just for Coke... I'm an addict). There's a freezer, abiet one of the very small ones, but if you just need to chill drinks, it's been running for almost 2.5 years in my dorm without incident or breakage.

Jimi C

Screenwriter

Hey henry, i was in the same boat as you, i just put it on a small black tv stand with a glass door, i use the storage space below for plastic cups etc, it almost looks like it was made for my little silver sanyo. If i could find my camera id post a picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks