What's new

Mini DV HD camcorder question. (1 Viewer)

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
I have a HD camcorder, excellent quality, no complaint. What I'd like to know is if there's any component that's dedicated for playback of those Mini DV tapes. I'm afraid that by using the camcorder for playing back (I do watch the tapes a lot), it'll get worn down much faster than if I only used it for recording. Is that a valid concern?

Thanks,

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
It's a concern, although probably not a huge one. Unfortunately I don't know of any alternative for playing HDV directly from the tape.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I believe they do in fact make mini DV VCRs. I vaguely remember seeing them but probably the cheapest ones are going to be in the $1.3-1.4k area.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Yeah you can get HDV decks, and they do run between a grand or higher. We've got Sony's first one, the HVR-10MU. It does an ok job. I believe Sony makes a deck that almost looks like a portable dvd player with a 5" or so screen. I think I saw it at B&H for $1200 or so.

I wouldn't worry about headwear on your camera though.

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if the cost of the player is $1K and up, I'll definitely not worry about it much. Thanks guys,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks