What's new

Mill Creek releasing Hammer & William Castle collections in August (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Hammer set has "Scream of Fear", "Two Faces of Dr Jekyll", "The Gorgon", "Stop Me Before I Kill", and "Curse of the Mummy's Tomb".

William Castle set comprises "13 Ghosts", "Mr Sardonicus", "Homicidal", "The Old Dark House", and "13 Frightened Girls".

Both sets are due out August 18.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Is there anything new about the William Castle set? It appears to be DVD only, and all these titles are already out, right?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The original William Castle set from Sony went OOP some time ago, so this is a good reissue. DVD only. Hence why I posted this in the DVD section.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
The Hammer titles are available in the various Icons sets so looks like Mill Creek won't be reissuing those and have cherry picked

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I really want the Castle titles (especially HOMICIDAL) in Blu-ray. I already have the "old" DVD Castle box, so this announcement is actually a disappointment.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yeah, already have these on DVD. Not interested.

I have their Sardonicus blu-ray though.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I missed out on the original Castle box, so count me as one of the few who is actually excited about this set. At the least, Mill Creek should be applauded for bringing these films back into print at a reasonable price-point.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I wish Mill Creek or some other outfit would re-release Hammer's The Abominable Snowman from 1957 on DVD. The Anchor Bay release is OOP and the prices for it are too high. Hammer announced in November 2013 that they were remaking the film so hopefully that might induce some company to re-release the original film on DVD.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Darby67 said:
I wish Mill Creek or some other outfit would re-release Hammer's The Abominable Snowman from 1957 on DVD. The Anchor Bay release is OOP and the prices for it are too high. Hammer announced in November 2013 that they were remaking the film so hopefully that might induce some company to re-release the original film on DVD.
Probably out of Mill Creek's hands since they are only distributing the Sony-owned titles. I think "Abominable Snowman" is under the StudioCanal banner now.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
classicmovieguy said:
Probably out of Mill Creek's hands since they are only distributing the Sony-owned titles. I think "Abominable Snowman" is under the StudioCanal banner now.

In other words, getting the R2 DVD is the only reasonable option currently.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping for the Quatermass titles. :( Those are the only Hammer titles I missed getting when Anchor Bay owned rights and, like The Abominable Snowman, are commanding high prices. If *anything* gets me to get a region free player it'll be those. I have all the Hammer films Sony released.

I was hoping the Castle collection would contain Macabre.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Something tells me there'll probably be a second William Castle set, later down the track, with "Strait-Jacket", "The Tingler", and "Zotz".

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
BobO'Link said:
I'm a bit disappointed as I was hoping for the Quatermass titles. :( Those are the only Hammer titles I missed getting when Anchor Bay owned rights and, like The Abominable Snowman, are commanding high prices. If *anything* gets me to get a region free player it'll be those. I have all the Hammer films Sony released.

I was hoping the Castle collection would contain Macabre.
"Macabre" is owned by Warners and has been released through Warner Archive.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Darby67 said:

As low as £14.99 for the US edition if you want to use a UK seller.

Or you can make me an offer. I'm in the UK but I have the US edition. Don't mind selling it as I recorded the BBC2 HD version a while back and put it on Bluray. If you make me a good offer I'll throw in a copy of the Blu ( assuming you can play 50i material)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
youworkmen said:
As low as £14.99 for the US edition if you want to use a UK seller.

Or you can make me an offer. I'm in the UK but I have the US edition. Don't mind selling it as I recorded the BBC2 HD version a while back and put it on Bluray. If you make me a good offer I'll throw in a copy of the Blu ( assuming you can play 50i material)

Please aquaint yourself with the HTF rules as this is a violation. Further such offers will result in post deletion and loss of membership privileges.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

5. Respect for copyrights. Home Theater Forum has a strict policy of respecting the rights of copyright holders. We do not allow promotion of bootleg material or discussion on how to obtain it, and we immediately delete all links to sites that deal in bootleg material. If you have any doubt whether a source is legitimate, please check with a moderator before posting any links. We also do not allow discussion of (a) how to make unauthorized copies of video or audio materials, (b) how to defeat any form of copy protection (including, for example, how to make "personal" copies of commercially produced DVDs), and/or © how to obtain equipment that can only be used for such purposes. In one form or another, this rule goes back to the very origins of HTF. We are serious about it. Please do not try to debate copyright law with us. We're not interested in discussing what the law should be. Public discussion about copyright law is allowed as long as it doesn't violate any portion of this or any other site rule. We believe it is in the best interest of HTF to enforce this policy strictly, and members test it at their peril.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
JoHud said:
In other words, getting the R2 DVD is the only reasonable option currently.

Yes, from what I can figure, getting the Japan Region A Blu-ray of The Abominable Snowman would be at least $32 shipped to the US (tax and any other fees not included).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah unless these are being released on Blu I don't get the point. The previous Sony DVDs will most likely remain better quality than these given Mill Creeks track record.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Dr Griffin said:
Yes, from what I can figure, getting the Japan Region A Blu-ray of The Abominable Snowman would be at least $32 shipped to the US (tax and any other fees not included).

Normally I'd go for import blu-rays, but Japanese imports tend to be very cost prohibitive outside of die-hard fans and collectors. That is unless you can find a very good local Japanese import dealer if you're fortunate enough to live in certain metropolitan areas..

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Cover art!

91HQgvSE95L._SL1500_.jpg

818I5U9Tk0L._SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks