Midbass speaker (not really a sub) help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Dodds, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

Howdy.

I have Wilson WATT speakers. A while ago I replaced the Puppies with Entec subs, to good effect. But when I moved back to Australia recently, the Entecs were just too much to ship. I figured I could simply use the WATTs with a good sub, but I'm now feeling the system lacks a bit of midbass power.

So I thought this might be a task which suits a first wander into DIY. The plan is to construct a midbass system to cover the range from 200Hz down to about 80 Hz. The enclosures would be 24h x 16d x 11w, presumably sealed.

I would be using an active crossover, and I use active full range digital EQ via a TACT.

The current sub is an EBS aligned Shiva, and I also have a pair of NHT SW2 passive subs I use with my rears.

The new units would also act as stands for the WATTs, hence the dimensions.

Any thoughts about drivers which might suit such a project, other considerations or advice would be gratefully received.

To complicate things, I am in Australia, which makes the choices both more limited and more expensive than from the US, although I travel a lot so I can pick up things there.

Cheers

Steve

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

3. Stephen Dodds

The TD Lambas look great, but there might be a problem with their width, not to mention price and availability.

However, I'll put them at 1 on the list so far.

Cheers

Steve

4. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

Peerless 850146 (10" CSC-X) would be my pick in a sealed & stuffed box of that size. Might not have enough sex appeal to be matched with the WATTs though. Cheap at ~$60. 80-200Hz isn't a difficult range for any 8-10" woofer really, anything that works fine in that box size (just under 2cf, right?) and is flat from ~40Hz to 600Hz should be fine.

5. Stephen Dodds

Well, current thinking is either a pair of Dynaudio 21w-54 (as per the Puppies) or a pair of Dynaudio 24w-100.

Any experience with either of these?

Steve