What's new

Midbass speaker (not really a sub) help. (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Howdy.

I have Wilson WATT speakers. A while ago I replaced the Puppies with Entec subs, to good effect. But when I moved back to Australia recently, the Entecs were just too much to ship. I figured I could simply use the WATTs with a good sub, but I'm now feeling the system lacks a bit of midbass power.

So I thought this might be a task which suits a first wander into DIY. The plan is to construct a midbass system to cover the range from 200Hz down to about 80 Hz. The enclosures would be 24h x 16d x 11w, presumably sealed.

I would be using an active crossover, and I use active full range digital EQ via a TACT.

The current sub is an EBS aligned Shiva, and I also have a pair of NHT SW2 passive subs I use with my rears.

The new units would also act as stands for the WATTs, hence the dimensions.

Any thoughts about drivers which might suit such a project, other considerations or advice would be gratefully received.

To complicate things, I am in Australia, which makes the choices both more limited and more expensive than from the US, although I travel a lot so I can pick up things there.

Cheers

Steve

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
The TD Lambas look great, but there might be a problem with their width, not to mention price and availability.

However, I'll put them at 1 on the list so far.

Cheers

Steve

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Peerless 850146 (10" CSC-X) would be my pick in a sealed & stuffed box of that size. Might not have enough sex appeal to be matched with the WATTs though. Cheap at ~$60. 80-200Hz isn't a difficult range for any 8-10" woofer really, anything that works fine in that box size (just under 2cf, right?) and is flat from ~40Hz to 600Hz should be fine.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Well, current thinking is either a pair of Dynaudio 21w-54 (as per the Puppies) or a pair of Dynaudio 24w-100.

Any experience with either of these?

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks