Building a HT with a good budget - Help

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Brandon D, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Brandon D

Brandon D Agent

Hey everyone! This is my first post I believe. I've been lurking around here and on avsforum and others for quite sometime.

I currently live in a small studio apartment (for now). My theater room is about 13 x 13 x 8 (feet). I am using a front projection setup and it's time to start building a "better" audio setup.

My budget is about 4000.00 for now. With that I was hoping to build the front end of my system. Either a set of NICE bookshelfs and a center and reciever or bookshelfs and a sub and reciever.

I will purchase the surrounds and/or sub after the first of the year when I get my tax return. This way I can buy better components and my building process won't be that long - 6 months at the most.

My primary use will be HT. I've never been much into sitting to listen to music, but I've never owned a truly remarkable set of speakers so that could easily change - especially with SACD's.

I like nice relaxed sounding speakers, but I don't like too relaxed. I like a punchy midbass, smooth but not nasely midrange, and airy open high ends. If it helps I like the sound of Dynaudio car audio compenent speakers, if any of you have heard them - the only speakers that I really like at the moment. They just blend so well, but car audio and home audio are two totally different animals

Anyway, if any of you could advise me on the best route to take that would be great. Perhaps some of you know of a better solution.

Thanks everyone!
    Brandon

2. John S

John S Producer

My Denon 4802 5 pair of JBL S38 Studio series, and 15" Velodyne Sub came to about $3000. I love the setup very much. I hand (well ear picked) all these components as my dream core system.

With the extra $1k, you really should be looking at separates, and not a receiver.

I'll let the separate's guys around here, give you the skinny on all those product offerings.

You must somewhat realize with that sort of budget, the world is your oyster so to speak, as there must be 100's and 100's and 100's of combos you could purchase for your setup, within budget.

If your not super knowledgable, you could just go by all THX2 certified (NOT THX SELECT certified)equipment and call it a day.... lol

Good luck with your setup!!!

3. Brandon D

Brandon D Agent

Thanks for the reply.

I'm fairly knowledgable I feel. I had been toying around the idea of a pre/pro setup (probably outlaw or rotel). I had also considered Rocket speakers as well, but the lack high end scares me a little. I like laid back, but not too laid back which is what I feel those are.

If it helps I've auditioned:

Klipsch Ref towers and monitors
    Definitive Tech BiPoloar towers (i think)
    paradigm studio 100's and Monitors
    B&W 600,CDM, 700, and 800 NT lines
    Theil CS ??? towers
    Polk LSI 25 towers

Mostly towers, because most of the audio shops around here feel that bigger = better.

Out of all of those I liked the most of what I heard. paradigms were a little to shy for my liking (which rockets seem to be compared to so... i don't know)

I liked the def tech's quite a bit, but of course, they have a built in sub. The Polk LSi's were nice but fairly inefficient (which if I go pre/pro shouldn't matter too much). I was thinking that 2 sets of LSI 9's and matching center might be nice.

Any other advice and/or reccomendations would be awesome guys!

Thanks

4. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Try NHT M5 or M6. These would be a good choice for limited space because of their sealed(no ports) design you can get them close to a wall. There are many good receivers on the market Denon, Harmon Kardon, NAD, Marantz, etc. NAD and NHT are a popularr match.

5. Brandon D

Brandon D Agent

I won't be living where I am much longer so I don't plan on having a small space for my Home Theater.

I just need advice on what would be the best bet in my price range. I don't live in a large enough metro area where I can demo many different brands and lines of speakers.

I was just hoping someone might have had a similar budget and/or are trying to accomplish the same goals as I am.

Lately I've been thinking about getting Polk LSI9's for the front and rear and matching center and SVS 20-25 pci+ and the outlaw 950 pre with the 100/5 amp combo they offer for $1500 or so.

Basically are there any other alternatives that would be more beneficial to my situation?

Thank you all so much!

Brandon

6. Brandon D

Brandon D Agent

anyone?

or is there another forum that gets a lot of traffic that might be able to help me?

Thanks,
    Brandon

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

It's the holidays. People aren't killing time at work and they are traveling too. All the forums are this slow.

The NHTs will fill a large room. But they are known for being more forgiving on placement. The Def Techs have a rep for needing alot of space to shine. http://www.nhthifi.com/2004/products...=2&SubjectID=3

8. Brandon D

Brandon D Agent

should i repost this question later? if so when? like sometime after xmas (26 - 30) or wait until the new year.

I realize that people have the holidays, i guess i figured people would have more time to be online that way. perhaps not.

forgive me for sounding earnest. thanks for you help thus far.

9. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Try av123.com and look around at what they offer. I loved my NHT's but these took their place.

10. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Try avsforum.com too. Post levels peak during work hours.

11. AndrewRose

AndrewRose Auditioning

for 1200 bucks you could get a pair of axiom m80s which really sound amazing. you could save yourself some money too
    i would defintely not go with a receiver but head for separates

12. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Bump.

13. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Geez... w/ $4000 I could really hurt myself. Unfortunately we're looking at years & years of tuition payments etc. That doesn't keep anyone from dreaming & lurking, but it sure does color my opinions toward trying to get more for less. Here's just one more option:

Outlaw (b-stock 950 pre/pro & amp) for $1789 is mighty enticing. You could get top Axioms all around from their "blem" stock (and I know of no one who's found a noticeable blem yet) plus a sub from SVS or HSU for under $2200, so there would still be a little left for wire & interconnects.

Just FYI - I'd liked Paradigm in our room & had been gradually building up a Studio setup. I heard Axioms this summer & was blown away by the bang-for-the-buck factor, went & got a pair for the 'puter loft, & now they're heading toward the top of the wish list. And the reason for the Axioms now is that for HT you might be happier sooner if you get a decent real sub right up front. The Def Techs that I remember sounded darned decent, but went for $$$ more around here. The Theils I'd heard really loved/needed power so might really increase your amp entry point. And I'm sorry, but Klipsch have just never made me lust (yet).

Pay little/no attention to our suggestions (well, except about the sub) but pay the $$$ for the speakers - even if that means getting a receiver w/in your budget. The speakers still make orders of magnitude difference over practically all electronics...

14. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Higher end receivers can give seperates a run for the money. With 4,000 I'd definetly focus on a good receiver, I would do HK AVR 7200 for I think around 1800 to 2000 and spend the rest on sub and speakers. I don't have any suggestions but easy enough to look at. The bigger the better, that is true in most situations with speakers. Speakers that can go down to 40hz (I believe) will handle SACD/DVDAudio easily. B&W does come to mind along with Paradigm.

15. Brandon D

Brandon D Agent

Assuming I spend 1000 of it on a reciever (HK 7200) i have about 2500 - 3000 to spend on the rest of the system.

I'm open to floorstanders as well. If I get floorstanders I will not buy my sub at first.

I appreciate all fo the help.

comments/suggestions?

Brandon

16. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

The site is from Audio Advisor,

Check Out Whaferdale
    I know, how do you listen to them, contact them and see if they can ship it for audtion with a return if not satisfied.

17. Brandon D

Brandon D Agent

I figured since i was working well above the "I have 500 or I have 1000 to spend on x" threads that someone might have some worthwhile advice?

Can anyone give me any ideas of what is superior in this price range?

18. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You might want to reconsider the Rocket option Brandon. Since you are considering bookshelves, the Rocket 250s might well fit the bill—while they could never be considered ‘bright’, they are certainly not laid-back speakers. This are the little brothers of the floor standing 550s (which I own) and might do very nicely in a 13 X 13 room. The Rocket 750 ‘Signature’ model now being shipped, would fit your budget and desire for punchy mid-bass very nicely (the crossover has been modified to give just a bit more high-end emphasis—so your concern about being too laid-back, might be alleviated)—but they are floor-standing models, not bookshelves.

You might also consider the Onix Reference Monitors—just simply stunning speakers—very detailed, without being bright. It is possible that there would be a bit more than your budget—check them out anyway, as they are really exceptional speakers—the more so if you plan on listening to music with your setup as well as movies.

19. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Too bad you missed some great sales over at Rocket too. Mark had a nice RS750 based setup and threw in a nice b-stock subwoofer free!

20. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

If you would really consider a receiver, then the HK AVR-7200 at OneCall (auth. dealer) for