What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Microsoft Confirms they don't want HD DVD or Blu-ray to survive!? (1 Viewer)

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
Just because he's being paid to say what he says, it does not follow that he's lying. The fact of the matter is, he is explicitly expressing "Microsoft's benign nature towards HD media on disc," so to say that his statements cannot be used as support of such is to say he's lying (or totally in the dark, which I guess is a possibility, but then that caveat applies to every statement ever issued by every company ever to exist).

The bottom line is, if you're not going to take his expressly sanctioned statements as Microsoft's position, then no discussion is actually possible here. It's all just baseless rumor and unfettered accusation. And in that case, despite their protests to the contrary, I'm convinced Sony's real plan is to kill all of our children and eat their brains. Blu-Ray is just the first step in that scheme.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

Eactly, we won't know for years what the real deal is. Those denying Microsoft means to kill HD on media have no more real basis then those saying they mean to. You wouldn't know it to listen to people though. Microsoft appears to be talking out both sides of thier mouth as they say in politics. I can just as easily search with google and find examples of Microsoft exployees predicting and preferring the death of hard media as someone that thinks Microsoft is legitimately trying to push one of these formats. It's silly to even argue about it since we have no way of knowing until after the fact,

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes. And nobody did that. And if you find someone who did, let him prove it or else you can call him a liar.

Cees

ReggieW

Screenwriter
The burden of proof rests with those claiming that MS is attempting to kill HD media.

Not vice versa.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

There is plenty of proof through statement Microsoft employees have made (even stuff Bill Gates has stated on the record) that they want HD media to die. That is the problem, they have said both things. They want HD-DVD to live and thrive, but they also want HD media dead in 5-10 years. The problem is that these 2 things cannot really be reconciled.

This burden of proof stuff is useless since there is plenty of proof for either side of this issue. This latest round of quotes from a Microsoft employee is hardly an isolated incident. I mean if the number of times Microsoft employees that have stated that downloads are the future and HD media is just a temporary diversion that will die out aren't enough, what is?

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
It's been ten years since DVD was introduced and now the studios are actively trying to replace it. I don't see how there's any difficulty reconciling the two sentiments at all.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
I don't think they want to replace DVD, it's too big a money maker. They more likely wish to supplement the sales of DVD, with the potential to replace the DVD someday. If you were to get the studios to comment, there is no way they would say they want DVD to go away. People writing off DVD are really jumping the gun. No matter which format wins, gaining traction against DVD is going to be a huge hurdle. Does anyone really estimate the eventual life of DVD at any less then 15-20 years? I know I wouldn't be surprised to see DVDs sitting on store shelves in 10 years.

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
They'd love nothing more than for you to rebuy everything you've already bought in a new format. Replacing DVD isn't currently realistic, but that doesn't mean that's not the goal. Technology accelerates. HD DVD/Blu-Ray showed up much earlier in DVD's life than DVD in VHS's life. I see no reason to think that window won't continue to shrink.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a reminder after deleting some recent posts from this discussion, name-calling towards Bill Hunt adds nothing to this argument. If you have the urge to do so then do it somewhere else. Thanks.

Crawdaddy

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Again, there is absolutely no conflict in any of these statements. It is no different than an oil company supporting drilling for new oil and at the same time supporting and talking about alternate fuels, stating that oil products won't last forever. I my view, this all makes very good business sense.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

Except that Richard is payed to spread the good word for Microsoft. Which makes Bill's situation nothing like Richard's. Again, unless you have proof that Bill is taking money from someone to support Blu-Ray, there is no reason to slander him by implying it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's get this discussion back on topic by saying if somebody is actually calling Bill Hunt a shill then utilize the report the post function. Thanks.

Crawdaddy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
So if we can agree on that, he IS spreading Microsoft's opinion. If not, he gets fired.

So can we now continue and conclude that Microsoft clearly stated, by a spokesman we ALL believe that he speaks their word, that they do not want HD DVD to disappear?

Cees

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Atleast as much as the upper management at Enron when they were saying everything was fine, because we all know corporations always tell us the truth. ;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And that has nothing to do, whatsoever, with Richards's personal integrity or believability.

BTW, if someone feels (s)he cannot personally trust the word of a commercial company - then why start a discussion with a guy who represents them in the first place? If one hears a spokesman saying something (be he misquoted or not), then why believe the part you want to believe (the evil explanation) and attack him later for explaining he meant something else - based on the accusation that he's a company spokesman?

If you think they all lie: no meaningful discussion possible.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymous01
Recent bookmarks