What's new

Miami Vice (2006) (2 Viewers)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Finally got to see the trailer---awesome. At least one nice homage to the series with the shot of Crockett and Tubbs in the speedboat. There is an episode from the first season--The Return of Calderone--where Crockett and Tubbs are in a similar speedboat (in the exact same seats, actually), so that was a nice homage.

Really excited for this one--are we still going to see this, Chuck?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I gotta say Im kind of suprised by the negativity. I love Manns movies and personally I cant wait to see this.
"I didn't know Gong Li is in this. Very nice!"
Hopefully they wont cut her nude scene :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Opening show. I have a friend who'll be with us. This is his #1 movie of the summer. It's certainly up there for me. Trailer was gorgeous.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
DonRoeber said:
Raise your hand if you're surprised.
I wouldn't say surprised but I was bit nervous that the studio might try and mandate a PG-13, especially considering the reported cost of the film.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I wonder why they couldn't get Don Johnson to do the role. He was the essence of cool.

Nice poster Kain

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Last night, I watched the worst Miami Vice episode I've ever seen: THE MAZE.

The editing was so obviously bad that you had characters referencing events that would not happen until 2-3 scenes in the future.

HORRIBLE.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I think the only major criticism I have of the project at this point (and it's one that I have already gotten over, mostly) is that I think it would be fun if this movie was set in the 1980s.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
A lot of people I talk to seem to be under the impression that this is another low-quality tv-to-movie adaptation of a show that doesn't need to happen, a la Bewitched, or that it is closely connected to the 80s tv show of the same name. The only connection the new film has to the show is the title and names of the two main characters. According to what I've read, the film is what we would expect of Mann today- a very serious, very hip, very introspective picture, not at all the approach Mann's old show took. Apparently the film takes place mostly in Central America (as opposed to Miami), and deals with the psychologial ramifications of taking on another personality (aka going undercover), and the detailing of how the drug trafficking world in Central America works. Frankly, I think the public would be more receptive to the picture if it wasn't called Miami Vice (a pop-culture document with a stigma that is inseperable from 80s style and attitude), as the title seems to suggest something other than what the film is going for.

Regards,

Nathan

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I agree. I keep telling my bro-in-law that I am really excited for Miami Vice and he just rolls his eyes. I try to explain to him that its modern and not campy like the show and that Mann is directing it, but he just scoffs and blows it off, even though if it weren't called MV and he saw the trailer he would be lining up to go see it.

Nick C.

Second Unit
Nathan V said:
According to what I've read, the film is what we would expect of Mann today- a very serious, very hip, very introspective picture, not at all the approach Mann's old show took.
This is my impression from early sneak reviews, but the danger is being overly serious (a la Batman Begins) which some have noted in rough cuts. Can't wait to judge for myself!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I am expecting another excellent Michael Mann film, and am extremely excited about seeing this one this summer. Especially given how much I enjoyed his most recent: Collateral, and of course pretty much every single film mann has ever made.

I actually would LOVE to see another drama from him too, similar to what he did with the Insider, which I think is my personal favorite from him (I like Dramas in general over the more action-oriented stuff). But I really like the fact that someone is making intelligent ADULT action films that don't treat the audience like a bunch of teenagers. Very rare, the last film that immediately comes to mind other than Mann stuff would be something like Ronin. A film with a lot of action, but not what you immediately think of when you say "action film."

Anyway, I expect this to kick ass in the best kind of way, and be excellent all around. It also looks like he's doing more with Digital cameras again, which I thought went very well in Collateral.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
I try to explain to him that its modern and not campy like the show
My issue is this -- was the original Miami Vice "campy."? I'll admit that it has been some time since I've seen it, but from my memory, MV was a serious, gritty drama that just happened to take place in the pastel-laden world of mid-to-late 1980s Miami.
I don't recall it being "camp." In fact, I would say that most people who think the show that way are probably more relating to the COUNTLESS 1980s parodies and references in other shows, e.g. the character of Drew Barrymore's fiance in Wedding Singer who wore the pastel suits and talked about loving the show.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Yeah, maybe campy wasn't the right term. I own the MV DVD's and some of it could be mild campiness, but it still holds well, for me at least. Some people, like my bro-in-law can't get by the suits for the story. His loss.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I wish he didnt do this one in digital, but oh well.
Me too. My only major problem with collateral was the digital photography. It's so obvious video looking that takes me out of the film. Or let's hope that if they did use digital cameras for this one, they used better ones!

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I don't think MV is camp at all. The show also gets quite dark in some seasons...beautifully so in most cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks