What's new

Miami Vice headed for the big screen... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just read this at Cinescape.com

Movie News

MIAMI VICE coming to theaters near you

Mann returning to project he made an icon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dateline: Thursday, May 9, 2002

By: CHRISTOPHER ALLAN SMITH

By: News Editor

Source: Variety

Michael Mann is returning to the series that made his name in the 1980s, MIAMI VICE. Universal, the producing studio of the show, is partnering with the visually innovative director to produce the big screen version of the iconic actioner, which centered on cops and drug lords in the fevered atmosphere of cocaine-fueled Miami.

According to VARIETY’s Michael Fleming, Mann will pen the script and produce the film, at which time he’ll make the decision on directing or not. The idea for the feature film translation is to update the series, and not produce a STAR TREK style continuation of continuity established in the show.

It is not known if Don Johnson or Philip Michael Thomas will reprise their roles as Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I am very excited about this.

At the NBC special on Sunday, Don Johnson was asked if we could see a reunion for the show, and he seemed fine with it.

~T

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Miami Vice is perhaps one of my favorite series of all time. The music, the editing, the guest stars, the cars, the babes, the mood all worked for me. The show was a pioneer on many of those fronts.

Here is my "Dream" Cast:

James Sonny Crockett .. Don Johnson

Ricardo Tubbs.... Philip Michael Thomas

Martin Castillo ... Edward James Olmos

The Composer .... Jan Hammer

The Ferrari.... Daytona Spider

-- Matt

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Cool! As long as Mann is involved it should be okay. I was afraid you were going to say it would be some sort of homage/parody like The Beverly Hillbillies or Dragnet .
Now, if someone will just announce that the original TV series is being released on DVD...
BTW: Good news for all you "Miami Vice" fans out there: Composer Jan Hammer is finally -- finally -- releasing a 2-CD compilation of his music for the series. You can order it direct from his website at
http://www.janhammer.com/giftshop/jhshop.html

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I read something about a Miami Vice feature fime about a year ago but it sounded like a differenc concept from this. At that time it seemed like a bad idea because they were talking about using a couple of younger actors as Crockett and Tubbs making it sound like a Batman style film where it's the same characters that we all know and love but with different people. Considering that the series isn't all that old it should be done with the original actors or not at all. Anybody could star in a movie about some middle aged vice cops working Miami but without Don Johnson, Philip Michael Thomas, and Edward James Olmos it's not Miami Vice. Why not remake The Cosby Show as a feature film starring Denzel Washington as the lead?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Finally!! "Miami Vice" on the big screen. As much as I like Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas in the original TV show, I think whatever studio's marketing department will want actors who have more "star power", whatever that means. How about Dennis Quaid as Crockett and Denzel Washington as Tubbs?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
If I remember correctly which I might not Chris Tucker was slated as Tubbs. Even if it wasn't him it was someone else with a similar age and persona, not an established dramatic actor like Denzel Washington.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Here are some thoughts I had on potential leads:

Crockett - Thomas Jane, Val Kilmer?, Hugh Jackman,

Tubbs - Don Cheadle, Ice Cube, Omar Epps, Wesley Snipes?

Castillo - Jimmy Smits

Switeck - John C. Riley

Though it would still be hard to picture anyone other than Johnson, Thomas, and Olmos.

I couldn't see Chris Tucker playing Tubbs one bit. Tubbs was a man who was on a mission of vengence. He lost his brother, lover, and baby to the evil Calderone. He was intense and passionate, not wise cracking and loud mouthed.

Quaid, while having the rough qualities and nihilistic attitude of Crockett, might be too old.

-- Matt

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Chris Tucker as Tubbs? Oh, come ON. I get it now. "Miami Vice" is the working title for Rush Hour 3, right?? :frowning:
;)

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
Oh Kenneth, I cannot say thank you enough for that link. That is so awesome. Hammer's "Escape from Television" CD has long been one of my absolute favorites, and the only reasons I take the Miami Vice albums I, II and III of the shelf are for his tracks. This is great news. Funny, I was just thinking a week or so ago that I should do a web search on him and see what he's up to.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like they want the movie to be set in the present, not in the 1980's where the TV show ended. That means Crockett and Tubbs would have either retired or got promoted. Crockett could have Castillo's job, Castillo could be chief of police, and maybe Tubbs could be back in New York in charge of NYPD Vice.

My favorite all-time scene from Miami Vice was when Crockett asked the arms dealer if the shoulder-fired missle launcher actually worked. The arms dealer demonstrated it -- on the Ferrari. *** BOOM! *** ... long slow motion shot of Crockett taking off his sunglasses, his jaw dropping in disbelief ...

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see this! BTW, that "Ferrari Dayton Spyder" was a 'Vette based kit car. While I loved that car, give me the Testarossa any day!

Brian

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Dan, you're welcome. I came across this sort of by accident last week while looking up other soundtrack stuff. Like you, I am overjoyed!
The first disc appears to be the same tracks that appear on "Escape From Television" and the Miami Vice CDs with a few new tracks interspersed. Disc 2 is all unreleased material. Can't wait 'til it gets here! :D

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
No way man the Testarossa just didnt have that Miami "feel". Crockett and Tubbs zipping down the street at 100mph with their hair blowing back and zipping through red lights.

By and far, the Daytona Spider was "the" car.

-- Matt

James Edward

Supporting Actor
>My favorite all-time scene from Miami Vice was when Crockett asked the arms dealer

if the shoulder-fired missle launcher actually worked. The arms dealer demonstrated it

-- on the Ferrari. *** BOOM! *** ... long slow motion shot of Crockett taking off his

sunglasses, his jaw dropping in disbelief ... < "Sold!"

My favorite too, Wayne. Classic stuff.

I'd rather see the series released on DVD than what will most likely be a lame movie, regardless of who is involved. I think it would ruin the memory of a great show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks