MGM/UA Silent Classics going OOP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I just checked out some of the MGM/UA Silent Classics VHS tapes on amazon.com and many are going out of print.

Among those definately OOP include The Crowd, Ben-Hur, and a many others.

The old VHS of Around the World in Eighty Days went OOP earlier this year, with a DVD release rumored for this winter...so perhaps there's hope for these silent films.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Also, many are still there, but for outrageous prices. Many of the MGM tapes are a whopping 30 dollars (these are decade old transfers, FYI) and some of the Paramount tapes vary from 19 dollars to just 8.

3. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    A "whopping" thirty dollars for these titles is nothing compared to the earlier days of VHS, when these same vids listed fore upwards of sixty bucks a whack. I, too, hope for BEN HUR and THE CROWD (and THE WIND and dozens more) on DVD, but in the meantime, VHS is the only game in town.

4. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    Actually , many of them also made it to laserdisc so you might be able to find them on e-bay. I'm not letting mine go , however.

5. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

DeMille's "King Of Kings" only ended up on LD as I recall (a no-frills Criterion title)