What's new

MGM to release Robocop DC SE in Region 2 - details (1 Viewer)

Chris Stone

Agent
coming February 11th from MGM in Region 2

Director's cut!

Dolby 5.1 Sound

Brand new documentary 'Flesh and Steel'

Additional production reel with DC scene build

Commentaries by Director Paul Verhoeven and Screenwriter

Deleted scenes

2 original featurettes

Photo gallery

Storyboard comparisons with commentary

Collectable, eye-catching packaging

Plus full feature ROBOCOP 2 and ROBOCOP

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Let's hope the R1 SE DVD will be the DC also :)
To sell or not to sell the Criterion Edition that is the question...

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
Finally! I didn't watch my Crit. version in all these years caus it wasn't anamorphic!

To sell or not to sell the Criterion Edition that is the question...
I wouldn't sell my copies! I guess there won't be all the extras of the Crit. version on this new release!

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Oh my god. Looks like MGM really pulled this one off admirably. :thumbsup:

I, too, own the Criterion version, but it look's I'll be selling it if the commentary is the same. The only thing I'll really miss if I replace the Criterion edition with this new SE will be that cool cover art...

HenrikTull

Second Unit
The commentary will most probably not be the same, since Criterion doesn't license their own produced material to other studios.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The commentary will most probably not be the same, since Criterion doesn't license their own produced material to other studios.
But Criterion recently licensed the commentary for Monty Python and the Holy Grail to Columbia/TriStar.

If this makes it to region 1, I may have to sell my Criterion Robocop!

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Henrik Tull:

"The commentary will most probably not be the same, since Criterion doesn't license their own produced material to other studios."

Richard Kim:

"But Criterion recently licensed the commentary for Monty Python and the Holy Grail to Columbia/TriStar."

Exactly. And let´s not forget Armageddon R2.

It has All the Extras (Two commentaries for instance, + Gorgeous 16:9 transfer) except the bloopers from the Criterion version.. It even says "Criterion" on the spine!!

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Those examples used were probably NOT owned by Criterion. The stuff from Armageddon I assume is either owned by Michael Bay or Disney. The commentary track may be owned by either Monthy Pyton or Columbia.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I think that's right; Paul Thomas Anderson owned many of the extras to Boogie Nights as well, which is how they ended up on the New Line SEs. I'd be surprised if the Pythons didn't retain ownership of their commentary.

All of the extras on the new RoboCop special ediition will indeed be different from what was on the Criterion--including the commentary, which was newly recorded. My advice is hang on to the old Criterion version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks