What's new

Metallica disgusts me (1 Viewer)

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
How about Ticketmaster though? What a bunch of thieves those guys are...and if someone comes on here and defends Ticketmaster, I guess you can find apologists for ANYTHING :)

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
all this talk of music as an industry pains me. but hey, i guess thats the world we live in, eh?

all i know is that i havent paid more than fifteen dollars for a show in years, and i dont really plan on it. i like intimate shows and once bands get too big i wont get to see them in a pleasant enviroment anymore so i dont worry about it.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Actually $71 isn't too bad if I reflect on it. $95 is a bit much for Metallica. I pay around £26- £35 for my gig tickets here in Scotland and thats roughly $60 I think. David Bowie was charging around £45 for his gig, Clapton the same. The Rolling Stones went from £30 to £150!!! I just couldn't justify paying that to see them. Fleetwood Mac charged £45 and I've recently spent £35 on my Duran Duran ticket :) David Lee Roth and Simple Minds cost me £26 a piece. Fun Loving criminals was £18.50 and The Prodigy £22. I guess if you like em you'll pay it. I don't mind paying the bread within reason. I just wish Springsteen would play here. :frowning:

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Well, I live in the states and 71 dollars is NOT a lot to see two big bands like metallica and Godsmack. Especially since Godsmack has come out everyone has compared them to Metallica. A lot of people have wanted to see these two bands play for a long time. If you saw the two bands individually with some crappy opening act you would be paying at least 50$. I know this because I saw Metallica 6 years ago and paid about 40$ at the fleet center then about 45 bucks the next year at the tweeter center. Godsmack came to town recently and tickets were about 38$. Do the math now and you will see that they are not that unreasonable for TODAY. 6-7 years ago-probably but not now. This is what is happening to music everywhere, not just these 2 bands. We will just have to deal with it. I think ticket prices are way too expensive too but I think the real issue is Ticketmaster and not the bands.
I would also like to address the Napster issue as well. (thus the can of worms will now open :)) I also was very upset at Metallica about the whole ordeal with Napster especially since they first got popular by people recording bootlegs of them and spread the word about the band back in the early 80's. They were all for it back then, what happened? Then they make a big stink about it and everyone hates them. HOWEVER, if you look at how album sales have dipped 30% since the introduction of online trading I think Metallica is sitting back laughing saying "told you so". Now you notice a lot more people complaining and thus-it is now illegal to swap music and we have to pay .75 to 1.00$ if we want to get a song. I think it was a case of dipping into the cookie jar waaaaaaaay too many times and not Lars saying it is illegal. It would have happened anyway sooner or later.
I will end with a question: Do you think ticket prices would be as expensive if album sales did not dip so low in the last 6 years?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Again, the $95 price was in Canadian dollars - that equals $71 US. Metallica aren't charging $95 US at any shows AFAIK...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The main problem, to me, with high ticketprices is that you only get either the hardcore fans or those who got the tickets as a gift to attend the shows. The days when you could go to a big arena event as just something fun to do are over, why spend $75 on two hours of entertainment with a band you only sort of like when you can spend it on so much else that you REALLY like?

The benefit for the band is that they'll make buttloads of money, the benefit for the crowd is that they'll feel special because they got tickets to a "special" event. Everyone else will feel marginalized and lose interest in the artist. I don't think it's a good thing in the long run.

Clear Channel really has done a good job of ruining most aspects of the music experience.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But here's the thing: eventually $75 tickets will be viewed as the norm, and even relatively inexpensive in some cases. For example, when Bruce toured, his $75 seemed cheap since other artists of his level charged so much more.

Five years ago, $75 tickets sounded really expensive to me. Today they don't - I drop $75 for a concert and don't give a lot of thought to it for the most part. Sure, this DOES keep me from some shows I'd attend at a cheaper level. For example, I'd like to go to one of the Melissa Etheridge club shows next year, but I'm not spending $77 to see her. Nonetheless, there are plenty of acts for whom I've spent $75+ even though I'm not a big fan just because the current system makes those tickets feel "reasonable".

To me, at least - obviously others disagree...

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
[Then they make a big stink about it and everyone hates them. HOWEVER, if you look at how album sales have dipped 30% since the introduction of online trading I think Metallica is sitting back laughing saying "told you so". ]

What everyone fails to see about this topic, is that "used" CD stores also became VERY popular in the late 90s and are in every other plaza across america now. People now realize they dont have to pay full price for a non-new CD and buy them 'used'. This plays a bigger role than the RIAA will ever admit to (since there is nothing they can do about it.)

Also, point for this thread on Metallica
1. $71 is not that bad for those 2 bands
2. Godsmack is worth more $$ than metalligreed (IMHO)
3. I have NEVER listened to a metalligreed cd since the napster thing and purposely turn the radio station if they come on. They are dead to me.
4. I dont mind band charging higher ticket prices, since they have a better chance to get a higher % of that money, than the % they get from charging us $18 for a new CD.
5. In regards to #4 above, there are very few acts that I would shell out >$70 to see. Those would be, in no specific order:
1. Van Halen with DLR
2. Pink Floyd (only a reunion concert with Rog tho)
3. Led Zep (the 3 living members tho, not page-plant at that price)
4. Roger Waters (if he ever tours again)
5. Deep Purple (only with the classic lineup, and if they promise to reproduce the light show they used on the "house of blue light" tour)
6. ... cant think of any others, unless there is a mass resurection (i.e Lennon and Harrison, Bon Scott, Cobain)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
5 years ago, I paid $18 to see Soulfly,Snot,Incubus and another band.

Snot was absolutely the best live band Ive ever seen and Ive seen Kiss in 77,Metallica in 87 and 89,Slayer,Megadeth,etc

I wouldnt pay $90 to see anyone much less a washed up band who sold out 14 years ago.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor

Are you insane?
20+ year and still going MetallicaFREAK! here. You are right, they are not in the same league, NO ONE IS! Metallica defines everything. Call them what ever you want and don't go to see them because I don't want you there if you are not 100% committed to the Metallica experience. Price too much? Join the Metallica club like I did 7 years ago and only pay $50 on top of the $50 for membership. I met James and Jason in '98 for my bargain membership.
I went to summer sanitarium and there were so many lame fans there it was ridiculous! You think they sold out? You think they suck. Good. Stay home. I personally hope they go back to small venues to the real fans where the energy was unbelievable. Metallica would never apologize for anything. They have always said it 'We don't give a shit!' and if you don't like it, they don't care. They did not make the music for you or me. they made it for themselves. They have always claimed to be selfish. Are they supposed to be nice and cater to everyone? People, are you forgetting something? Metal music is NOT NICE. Just because it has taken on some mutation that is popular in the last 5-10 years does not mean they have to be your buddy. How many pictures of James do you need to see with him giving the finger before you are convinced of this?
Anyway, sorry to join the conversation late.....
Tallica Rules!
Marc (MetallicaFREAK!)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Those ticket prices just plain disgust me.

Sorry people, but its just plain GREED.

You know things cant get any worse when Nikki Sixx is calling u a sellout and saying f*ck you to your band.

"You know, rock and roll used to be all about everything that corporations and high ticket prices and sponsorship, etc., etc., *wasn't*."

AMEN

Alot of the bands I listen to are self managed.... They own their own studios, book places to play themselves,do it all themselves.

You know,I wouldnt even mind paying more if a band was playing a small place to make it profitable for them(travel,hall rental,etc).

And after 20 years, Fugazi is STILL only asking for under $10 for tickets.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The only bands I will ever shell out big bucks for are:

1 Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks, and Steve Hackett (hopefully performing The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway in its entirety).

2 Pink Floyd with Roger Waters , Dave Gilmore, Rick Wright, and Nick Mason

3 Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Welch, Christine McVie, John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
$75 is not a lot of money for a concert ticket. Period.

I would spend $100 a ticket to see a lot of live entertainment, maybe not Metallica but definantly Pink Floyd and especially if it was close to the stage. Metallica is easily in the same league as U2 and G&R(who only has 1 truly great album).

I spent $500 for 4 Rose Bowl tickets this year, I sold them but it would of been worth the money.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy

Actually, he's flipping us the double bird now considering these ticket prices.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
4/29/72 - The Spectrum Theater, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania $8.75 - Pink Floyd

Inflation figured in.....

What cost $8.75 in 1972 would cost $37.39 in 2002.

IMHO, greed and corporate management has overtaken the music industry, but there are always exceptions to the rule. Spend money as we all see fit. That is what makes America so great. Choices, choices and more choices.

JordanS

Second Unit
You will never see a tour with Roger, David, Nick, and Rick together....

Roger Waters has plans to do an international tour in 2005 and Pink Floyd, as of now, is non-existent....i wouldn't be surprised, however, to see a final tour out of them within the next 3-4 years.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.