What's new

Metallica disgusts me (1 Viewer)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Metallica the best band of the last decade.... Thats the biggest lot of ***** I've heard in a long time. They've never been the biggest or best at anything if we're being honest. Sure they have a big fanbase but so did Hitler. They are a average band who have never really written any "classic" songs. AC/DC etc have had hits that non-fans would know but Metallica never have and it looks like they never will. I don't hate them I just know for a fact they ain't one of the greats even though they may think they are. But heh thats todays music scene for ya...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I mentioned this in an earlier post:

"What people ignore in this thread is one of the prime reasons artists started to charge so much more for tickets. For one, they proved they COULD, but a lot of the impetus came from the chronic success of scalping. When people saw their $30 tickets go for $300, they decided - correctly, if you ask me - that they should get a bigger piece of that pie. And that's fine with me - I'd rather see someone pay $250 a ticket and have the money go to the artist than to some a-hole who gobbled up all the good tickets."

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein

i dont see how you can compare metallica's fanbase to hitlers fanbase in one sentence and then in the next say classic songs are those which even nonfans know. how come classic songs which have huge fanbases arent also comparable to hitlers fanbase in the same manner?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Interesting thread. Back in 1977 or 1978 my friends and I paid $6 to see the Dead. Later in the year, we paid $8 to see Styx. I remember one of my friends being pissed off at Styx for charging $2 more than the Dead, playing for 1 1/2 hours less and foisting some awful opening act upon us...May have been Twisted Sister, or the Good Rats. One of those two.

This is nothing new. Musicians try to make as much money as they possibly can in most cases, and those that charge lower ticket prices usually make up the money through merchandising. DMB is a perfect example of this, and yes I'm a fan.

Those that don't make a killing with merchandise yet still offer low ticket prices, use their fan friendly policy as a means of retaining loyalty. Let's not get too carried away with the altruistic nature of these artists...They're giving you low ticket prices at least in part because they need to keep their built in fanbase in order to sell enough albums to keep their contracts.

To suggest they're doing this purely for the sake of the fans is a little off the mark. Pearl Jam, of which I'm a huge fan, fits right into this group (and yes I'm aware they're currently without contract by choice)...Their sales dropped dramatically, but they've built a nice sized loyal fan base in large part through their fan friendly image. These fans buy their albums, their boot series and see their shows. They are PJ's bread and butter, and if they aren't fan friendly toward these fans, PJ would be history.

Tori Amos could indeed charge $100 or even $200 a ticket and sell out a mid sized venue...But not for long, and not forever. Eventually, her fanbase would resent it, much the same way a segment of Metallica's fanbase now resents them.

All this is with Metallica is a little dance between the band and the fans...Charging the maximum amount they feel they can get away with without pissing off and alienating their audience...Not the old pre-black album or post Napster audiences, but the current audience.

And the current audience is willing to pay $70. If you're not, don't. If you are, enjoy yourself. Whichever the case, this isn't about Good and Evil, it's about maximizing profit and making money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.