What's new

Merged Stargate Ulimate edition DVD thread (1 Viewer)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
This is not the first disc like that (DD having punchier bass than DTS). Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition is exactly the same. Still, one listen to the title theme of Stargate switching between DTS and DD reveals just how much better DTS is at creating a rich, room-filling soundfield. Plus, on Stargate I found the DD bass to be a little over-cooked, whereas the DTS bass was more natural. I feel the same way about Fellowship of the Ring.

It's really just a matter of taste. If you're a bass nut, the DD on these two titles will satisfy you more.

-Lyle J.P.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have not compared the DD to dts yet but all I can say is the dts soundtrack sounds absolutely great near reference. Regarding picture quality, I though it was inconsistent ranging from great to soft to a little grainy to having a slight bit of edge enhancement.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
While I would much rather DTS had created a separate codec that supported 7.1 or 6.1 discrete with no backwards compatibility designed into it for maximum quality (and a menu that stated it was not for DTS 5.1 decoders), I can see why, in the scheme of things, they went with DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 instead.

1. The studios would have been reticent to put on a DTS track that only a handful (at the time) of processors could decode if it wasn't backward compatible.

2. Hardware manufacturers are usually slow in implementing new codecs into their feature sets. Why put the effort in when there may not be enough software available?

By using the built-in feature of "core + extension" packeting of Coherent Acoustics they could place just one DTS track on the disc that would work in both DTS 5.1 (without losing any sound effects) and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 decoders.

While technically DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 isn't FULLY discrete because a type of matrix extraction of the back channel must be performed on the left and right side channels to get rid of the redundant back channel effects, it still replaces the derived back channel with a full bandwidth discrete channel capable of 20 Hz-20 kHz range and 24 bit resolution with no added decoding circuitry noise. It still has much greater channel separation and the sound effects don't occasionally blob into the back channel as in DD EX due to the steering problems of a derived matrix channel. It also allows the sound mixers to create a much more aggressive surround experience than DD EX because you do have a full 6.1 discrete channels to work with.

Anybody who has The Haunting in DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 and can decode it will attest to the fact that it can greatly improve the impact of the mix.

I guess this will have to be a temporary solution until the studios give us true 8 channel discrete PCM or DSD tracks on video.

Dan

P.S. The reason a DVD player's display menu only shows DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 tracks as 5.1 or 6 channel is because the extension file on the bitstream are ignored by everything but the DTS-ES decoding chip. The player only "sees" the 5.1 core data (just as standard DTS 5.1 decoders ignore the extension data).

Luis A

Second Unit
Dan, yor right on on how the player only ses the "core data" (I do know this) so I wasn't expecting it to show 7ch or anything else. Since you have a Toshiba DVD player like I do I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about on the Stargate UE disc(s). On every other DTS-ES disc I own when I pull up the "NAVI" it will show 5.1ch for DD or DD-EX and 6ch for DTS or DTS-ES matrix/discrete. However on Stargate when I have DTS-ES audio selected the NAVI shows it's only 5ch. Is the player misreading the disc or is this not really a DTS-ES track? What is your player reading?:)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

I'm facing the same dilemma. My receipt is dated Feb 10. I believe that was the ship date so it would get to me by the release date (which it did). They obviously had the stock early. At first I didn't think about it as a big deal, but what if the studio considers it a breach of street date.
The fact that they put a start date and not just a "must be received by" date makes me think they're looking for any excuse to save some money.
It could potentially lock out any pre-orders from the rebate.
Then again, they might not really care, and just put Feb 18 because it was official release date.
When I had problems with my Stargate VHS years ago(it had no surround sound, just stereo), I wrote the sudio and they sent me a replacement copy without even asking for the original.
Maybe I should just chance the cost of a stamp and try.
I bought another copy for my dad (I had gotten him the SE before too), and was going to have him try since we're a separate household now, but I'd have to cut my name and address off the DeepDiscount receipt. I believe that one's dated Feb 12.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Oh yeah, as far as reference quality goes...
to me, ANY Edge Enhancement exempts a DVD from being a potential reference quality disc.
I can't believe they STILL applied Edge Enhancement the THIRD time releasing the movie.
Don't they realize EE is crap and really shows up on a movie like this?
Sure, if you put it next to the old transfer, the diffence is astounding, but if we'd never known how AWFUL the movie looked on DVD before we wouldn't be so quick to accept the new transfer now plagued with comparatively mild EE.
I guess I can hope they'll get it right by the 2nd or 3rd release on HD-DVD.:frowning:

I won't complain about the new soundmix though. DTS 6.1 Rules!!

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the rebate - the same thing happened with me with the LotR: FotR rebate. The form has a specific date and I preordered it. So, I emailed them and they said that preorders were okay and I did get my rebate a number of weeks ago. If there is a customer service email you can use, I'd suggest finding out more. I presume, though, that it should be okay same as with the LotRs.

Neil

Don Black

Screenwriter
How many discs are suppose to be included in the Ultimate Edition? I only have one but the case holds two. Did I somehow not get the second disc or is Artisan simply using a 2-disc case for a 1-disc release? Thanks!

Luis A

Second Unit
There should definitely be 2 discs. Disc 1 is the Directors Cut and Disc 2 is what we saw in the theater.:)

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
Don --

Throw yourself on the mercy of your retailer. It's worth a shot. Worst thing that can happen is they say "no."

Jordan_Rebner

Auditioning
I just realised that I got screwed by Artisan. They apparently decided to release a 1 disc Ultimate Edition to Of course I end up with the 1 disc, which is so far from Ultimate it's not even funny. Almost all of the extras have been cut except for the one featurette "Is There a Stargate?" and the commentary.

Basically they just removed the 2nd disc which included the theatrical version and most of the extras. Also they changed the coverart ever so slightly, changing the words "Director's Cut" to "Extended Cut" on the front.

I bought mine online and it was still advertised as a 2 disc set, which like I said, because they never told ANYONE seems to be a big problem. I ended up reading tons of amazon reviews from customers wondering where all the bonus features that amazon advertised were. I'm hoping the company I bought it from will give me a refund based on the false advertising.

Does anyone have a contact number, address, or email for Artisan/Lions Gate?

I'm so angry with Lions Gate already because of Alf, and now this I don't think I'll ever trust them again.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what does this have to do with lions gate/artisn?

shouldnt your anger be at amazon for sending the 1 disc version not the 2 disc version when the 2 disc version is listed on their site?

Jordan_Rebner

Auditioning
I'm not sure if Artisan properly informed retailers of this change, as it's not just Amazon who's made this mistake. If you did a quick online search for the Ultimate Edition of Stargate, I'll be willing to bet 90% of what you find is the 2 disc edition which has been circulating for probably over a year. Do you not think Amazon and other e-tailers would have changed their listings accordingly. They've had plenty of time. In a quick search I found both Amazon.ca and .com with the old listing. DeepDiscountDVD.com has the old listing too. I found many cases of columbia house customers getting misinformed (They appear to have corrected their listing now). Checked Chapters.indigo.ca, it's not available anymore but the last listing is of the 2 disc version, but I'm sure they were selling the 1 disc version like everyone else, and I'm pretty sure they weren't aware of it. Buy.com has it available a 2 disc listing as well, but they be getting any of it from Artisan.

I'm upset with Artisan for not drastically changing the appearance of the product to better inform the customers of the change. Artisan releases Stargate: Ultimate Edition in February 2003. Probably about 8-12 months later (pure guess) they change production to a one disc set, but keep the name Ultimate Edtition and keep the cover design. If I had actually seen cover art in person there's no way I would have noticed the small difference of "Extended Cut" vs "Director's Cut". Not too mention the fact that canadian releases often get different cover art anyway, like with blade trinity, "Unrated" vs "Extreme". I feel Artisan deliberately made few changes to dupe unsuspecting customers.

Yes I'm aware that I am now just ranting, but it's too late, I've already written it.

NOTE - I don't even know what to say know, because I found out it's being re-released again - maybe this time it'll be half a disc. Apparently It's being re-released on October 18, 2005 along with a UMD version - well according to dvdboxoffice.com anyway and DVDempire has a preorder without a release date. Ign.com also confirms the UMD release so if nothing I can get a refund from a company who probably wasn't properly informed and I can buy the proper version later.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I think it's pretty crappy to still call it Ultimate Edition and use almost the same cover. I'd be upset too.:angry:

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
The one-disc version of Stargate Ultimate Edition has been around for a while now. Basically they did what MGM has done to many of their Special Editions i.e. they quietly downgraded the releases by stripping them of special features. In MGM's case, they kept the UPCs the same. I don't know if this is the case with Stargate, but if it is, it's hardly Amazon's fault that you received an inferior version.

There was a thread warning people of the Stargate Ultimate Edition downgrade, but it's been a while.

Jordan_Rebner

Auditioning
There was a thread on that? I wasn't able to find it. I searched through dozens of websites for information and I think I came upon 1 site that had confirmation on a downgrade.

These behind the scene downgrades are ridiculous. At least give the consumer a distincively different cover or change the name of it. When buying online we can't see the bank cover, we can't read the fine print of the included extras, and when the companies selling these items don't seem to be informed of the switch, they don't update their listings correctly which causes numerous problems.

I complained to LGF about this deceiving advertising, but I doubt they will dignify me with a response.

I'm still holding out for a re-release along with the UMD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks