What's new

Merged Stargate Ulimate edition DVD thread (1 Viewer)

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
This could easily be my HTPC.....

whenever I click on the DTS track it defaults to the spanish subtitle line and it won't let me move on from there. I'm stuck in sub menu hell. The only way to get out of the "set up" menu is to press DVD menu on my remote, which allows me to get to the main page...but defaulting to the DD 5.1 soundtrack. I even tried the to change it via the remote's audio button....but it keeps defaulting back to the DD 5.1 soundtrack. Anyone else having this problem. I'll have to take it over to the neighbor's and try his player.

Ron

PS: The DD 5.1 soundtrack rocks, which is a good thing.

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yea, Glad you reminded me of that. I gotta pick mine up on the way home from work. :D

EDIT: now that the thread has been merged, my post makes no sense....:confused:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have merged these threads together. This single thread can now be used to discuss the new Stargate UE DVD.

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
I just got mine today and inside is a 5.00 offer if you've upgraded from the Special Edition. I got mine for 11.43 shipped from Deep Discount DVD less the 5.00 rebate.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Will post my results when I get home. Walked over to BB for lunch and picked it up for $12.99. Can't wait to crack it open and finally see a version where the characters aren't glowing from all the EE/video noise/whatever the heck it was that plagued the first two releases!

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Who else besides me misses the MGM lion? I don't know why they didn't keep the logos as they appeared on the film's original releases. That Studio-Canal opening is an affront to all living things! It's truly awful.

-Lyle J.P.

EDIT: The lion is only absent from the Theatrical Version (the dreadful Studio-Canal opening is also only present on the Theatrical Version). The Director's Cut, ironically, is the only cut which has the proper theatrical opening logos.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I couldn't find it at Wal-mart or Zellers.
I'll check at the Future Shop and other stores on the weekend. :)

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I picked it up and watched it when I got home. In DTS 6.1 ( My processor is a 7.1 Aragon Stage One ) it sounded great. There are some artifacts. But, the color and sound is engulfing. They finally did it right. This is a must have for fans of this classic.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Um...I could swear I just saw the MGM lion at the opening of my Stargate UE...

Oh, FWIW, I can't really tell that the added scenes are from a different master (some review said they may have transferred the original from film but the added scenes from a video master). Looks pretty seamless to me, minus the hiccup when the opening icon of Ra fades into the desert where Jaye Davidson is...

The transfer, both video and audio, are very much improved. Literally like LD to DVD. I watched the 2nd DVD of Stargate numerous times (it's a guilty pleasure) and I can say that all of the glaring flaws are all but gone. Did discover major print damage on one frame of the new DVD, right when Jackson discovers the beast in the desert - it's there for one frame, right on his face, but it's a pretty big frickin' blemish!

Overall I'm happy with this version (should have been what was originally released).

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't find it at Wal-mart or Zellers.
I'll check at the Future Shop and other stores on the weekend.
Rob, I couldn't find it in Wal-Mart around here, either, but Future Shop definitely had it for C$19.99!

I also saw it at HMV... at the same price!! :eek:

Rob T

Screenwriter
Rob, I couldn't find it in Wal-Mart around here, either, but Future Shop definitely had it for C$19.99!

I also saw it at HMV... at the same price!!
Excellent!
I'll be going into the city in a few days for sure then. Thanks! :)

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I watched various parts last night. Definitely a good transfer (finally). Now I am just waiting for my SG-1 Season 1 and Season 2 sets ($36 each!)...

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I must say that I normally agree with Ron's reviews, but I have to wonder which version of this movie he was watching.;) He mentioned that it was close to HD in some areas and that it was the "reference disc of the year". I noticed video noise/dirt/dust/whatever all the way through when watching Disc 1 (Director's Cut). This is throughout 90% of the movie. Granted, the DTS was great, and there were SOME areas of the video that were pristine, but I ended up being disappointed by this one. :thumbsdown:FWIW, I have never owned any other copies of Stargate, but they must have been HORRIBLE to watch!

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody have a problem scanning through this disc? I am using a Sony 7700 and I can skip chapters but it will not scan forward or back at any speed. I tried it on my Yamaha CX-1 and it does scan. This is the first disc I have had that had a problem playing on the 7700. This is on the directors cut, I haven't tried the theatrical yet.

GregK

Screenwriter
Hi Steve,

I also have a Sony DVD player (circa 1998) and it too would not scan. I have played well over 100 different DVDs on this Sony and this is the first one to have a problem with scanning.

My Daewoo 5700 also doesn't like the DVD. The player itself makes strange sounds like it's trying hard to track the disc correctly. Most of time this 'tracking problem' doesn't effect the picture or sound, but there were probably a half dozen times while watching the Director's cut where the the audio and/or video locked up or jumped for a split second when played on the Daewoo 5700.

In the end I was still able to enjoy the DVD, but yes, there is something odd in the way this given disc was authored.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
On my Panny CP 72, Spanish subtitles defaulted to On when I selected DTS, but I was able to scroll down on the menu screen and turn them off.

PQ is much better than the older releases, but faces are still grainy and oversaturated in dark scenes in the native city, but not in the early scenes in NYC. I think this may be an atmospheric choice on the part of the cinematographer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks