What's new

Meet Joe Black... Did I get a bad disc...? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all, Just took advantage of the new lower price on this title, $12.99 at CC, had rented it when it came out and remembered it having EXCELLENT video quality, and remember reading that it was considered to have an excellent transfer, I get it home, pop it in and was a bit unimpressed. In the opening out door scene, I noticed a decent amount of EE, and subtle blue halos around the actors when contrasted against the bright sky. Predominantly on the right side. (Before you ask, my monitor is in TipTop shape,convergance-wise, etc... so it ain't my set). Skipped ahead and noticed it again in a few (Not all) spots. Also, it just looked grainier than I remember. Granted, memory can be a tricky thing but I just recall this looking better. I checked the Bit rate and it was hovering around the 4.0 mark with an intermittent spike above. This is in reference to the movie-only disc, NOT the UE. Odd, as it seems to be the release form a couple of years back. Did I get a bad disc? Or Perhaps they are peddling a more compressed, faster to produce disc now in the old packaging, hence the lower MSRP???? I dunno, but although hardly unwatchable or a "BAD" transfer,it just doesn't look that good and I remember it looking a bit better. I have MANY better looking discs in my collection.

Any thoughts, guys...?

:frowning: D

My own update... Just read on DVDFile that the original disc was discontinued when th UE came out, Hmmmmmm....(So now they are re-releasing the original disc...?)
And it mentioned too much EE on the transfer that marred an otherwise beautiful image, so more confusion ensues...

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Unless they switched from a dual to single layer disc, doing a new transfer and compressing more would make things more expensive. It proably would anyway.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
it just doesn't look that good and I remember it looking a bit better.
It could be just a matter of what you're getting used to. I remember all of my older DVD's looking SUPER DUPER when they first came out, but that was because nothing else was really better. Now that there are so many great quality DVD's out there, the old ones (that I thought were sweet) now have lost their appeal.

Kinda like speakers. When I first got my HT system it sounded SO loud...now (that I've gotten used to it) it doesn't seem to be as loud as I remember.

It's all a matter of perspective

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
P'robly so... I just realized that we have the 3 hr. film plus the HBO doc. so that's quite a bit of info. for the disc....
Maybe it's just the way it is....

:frowning: D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks