What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Mean Girls (2004) 20th Anniversary Limited Edition (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81Z10miA5-L._SL1500_.jpg

Put on your sweatpants and get ready for a totally grool double feature at home!

On April 30, 2024, the world will celebrate 20 years of trying to make fetch happen as the original, wickedly funny MEAN GIRLS arrives on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc™ for the first time.

Released in theatres on April 30, 2004, MEAN GIRLS became an audience and critical hit, earning over $130 million worldwide and Certified Fresh™ on Rotten Tomatoes. Tina Fey’s brilliantly satirical and eminently quotable screenplay brought to life with hilarious performances by the exceptional cast made the film a pop culture sensation that continues to earn new fans 20 years after its theatrical debut.

Paramount Home Entertainment’s special 20th anniversary 4K Ultra HD release comes in a collectible hot pink case with a limited-edition o-sleeve featuring the infamous Burn Book and includes a brand-new featurette entitled “Mean Girls: Class of ‘04”, as well as access to a Digital copy of the film. Details of the new and legacy bonus content are below:

• Mean Girls: Class of ’04—Tina Fey and cast from the new movie look back at the original film and discuss why it became a cult classic. NEW!
  • Commentary by director Mark Waters, screenwriter and actress Tina Fey, and producer Lorne Michaels
  • Only the Strong Survive
  • The Politics of Girl World
  • Plastic Fashion
  • Word Vomit (Blooper Reel)
  • So Fetch – Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by director Mark Waters and screenwriter and actress Tina Fey
  • Interstitials
  • Theatrical Trailer
In addition to the 20th anniversary release detailed above, MEAN GIRLS (2024), this year’s new twist on the modern classic from writer Tina Fey, will also arrive on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™ & DVD on April 30.

The 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray include more than 30 minutes of bonus content and a sing-along version featuring lyrics to select songs from the film. Bonus content is detailed below:

• A New Age of Mean Girl— Tina Fey, the cast, and crew discuss a new take on the Mean Girls story and how the drama at North Shore high would unfold in the age of social media.
  • Song and Dance— A behind-the-scenes look of what it took to bring the big musical numbers of Mean Girls (2024) to life. We hear from the directors, the choreographer, and the cast about how they prepped and reimagined the classic film with musical elements.
  • The New Plastics— The new cast dives into their memories of watching the original film, their favorite moments/lines, what character they identified with, and what it meant to be cast in the musical.
  • Gag Reel— Some of the best moments happen behind the scenes!
  • Not My Fault – Music Video with Reneé Rapp and Megan Thee Stallion
  • Extended Scene – I’m Having a Small Get Together at My House
  • Mean Girls Sing-Along with Select Songs

MEAN GIRLS (2004) Synopsis

After living in Africa with her zoologist parents, Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) must brave the wilds of high school where she is taken under the wing of the popular girls, The Plastics, led by the cool and cruel Regina George (Rachel McAdams). What follows is a treasure trove of sharp, witty humor that defined a generation and inspired countless catchphrases, a hit Broadway musical, and a new twist on the tale in 2024. Co-Starring and written by Tina Fey, and featuring Amanda Seyfried, Lacey Chabert, Lizzy Caplan, Daniel Franzese, and Amy Poehler, MEAN GIRLS is nothing short of a pop culture phenomenon and an iconic classic.

MEAN GIRLS (2024) Synopsis

From the comedic mind of Tina Fey comes a new twist on the modern classic MEAN GIRLS. New student Cady Heron is welcomed into the top of the social food chain by the elite group of popular girls called “The Plastics,” ruled by the conniving queen bee Regina George. However, when Cady makes the major misstep of falling for Regina’s ex-boyfriend Aaron Samuels, she finds herself prey in Regina’s crosshairs. As Cady sets to take down the group’s apex predator with the help of her outcast friends Janis and Damian, she must learn how to stay true to herself while navigating the most cutthroat jungle of all: high school.

MEAN GIRLS (2004)
is rated PG-13 for sexual content, language, and some teen partying.

MEAN GIRLS (2024) is rated PG-13 for sexual material, strong language, and teen drinking.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Blu-ray was available in a pink case temporarily five years ago for the 15th anniversary. Future pressings reverted to the standard blue case. It is a nice touch that they are bringing back the pink case for the 4K edition. I hope the remake is in pink too so that they match. Since this one is being released April 30, I bet the remake will share the same release date.

I don't have a 4K player, so I don't need this right now. But if I ever upgraded, this would certainly be a title I would buy again because I rewatch it frequently. I'm glad to see it being available for those who can use it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
even Barbie didn't get a pink case.
Paramount put Mean Girls in a pink case five years ago before Barbie (the movie) existed. WB should have followed their lead here with Barbie. It is entirely appropriate for Paramount to do that again with the 4K release of Mean Girls.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Paramount put Mean Girls in a pink case five years ago before Barbie (the movie) existed. WB should have followed their lead here with Barbie. It is entirely appropriate for Paramount to do that again with the 4K release of Mean Girls.
I guess I haven't kept up with the history of the packaging on Mean Girls. My copy is in a boring old blue case.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My copy is in a boring old blue case.
The pink case was a limited edition for the 15th anniversary. I think that same edition is now in a blue case. I have the pink one so can confirm it existed. The disc is the same as it has always been, but I think the pink case is a nice touch of a studio doing something extra for an important title.

I would guess that the 4K edition will be similar, in that the first pressing or two will be in pink and then they'll just switch to blue somewhere down the line.

To your earlier point, I absolutely think WB missed an opportunity to make the Blu-ray release of Barbie stand out by putting it in pink.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The pink case was a limited edition for the 15th anniversary. I think that same edition is now in a blue case. I have the pink one so can confirm it existed. The disc is the same as it has always been, but I think the pink case is a nice touch of a studio doing something extra for an important title.

I would guess that the 4K edition will be similar, in that the first pressing or two will be in pink and then they'll just switch to blue somewhere down the line.

To your earlier point, I absolutely think WB missed an opportunity to make the Blu-ray release of Barbie stand out by putting it in pink.
I'm sure WB made plenty of $$$ of their Barbie(TM) release and there was a LE steelbook
1707192871693.png
that was basically pink ;) ...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm sure WB made plenty of $$$ of their Barbie(TM) release
Of course. I didn't mean to imply that the color of the case would make a difference to the sales. No one who wanted to buy it would boycott it because the case isn't pink. But a pink keepcase would have helped the title to stand out all the same as a nice extra touch.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Of course. I didn't mean to imply that the color of the case would make a difference to the sales. No one who wanted to buy it would boycott it because the case isn't pink. But a pink keepcase would have helped the title to stand out all the same as a nice extra touch.
I generally only regularly check W*M for discs (Targeh is so erratic with new releases -especially with the future Taylor Kelce has a "new" release). Release week Wednesday they only had Barbie(TM) on DVD available -- with the spaces for 4K an Original Recipe Blu-ray empty save for the price tags on the racks.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This was the design for the pink case Blu-ray version which was released five years ago. I own it in pink so can confirm that this isn't photoshop; it actually exists. Paramount eventually replaced it with a blue case, so it seems like the pink one was just for the first pressing or two.

Mean Girls Pink.jpeg
It appears that the pink case for the 4K will be essentially identical except for having the 4K Ultra HD logo on the top instead of the Blu-ray logo.

On another note, I continue to be surprised that Tina Fey is second billed here after Lindsay Lohan. We all know she is the screenwriter as well and I don't mean this disrespectfully because I love the movie and Fey is very good in it. But as an actor, Ms. Norberry is clearly not the size of role that would normally be above thee title. If they want to put a second name above the title, it would seem that Rachel McAdams is the most logical one. She has also become a much more recognizable star than she was when Mean Gils was originally made.

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
On another note, I continue to be surprised that Tina Fey is second billed here after Lindsay Lohan. We all know she is the screenwriter as well and I don't mean this disrespectfully because I love the movie and Fey is very good in it. But as an actor, Ms. Norberry is clearly not the size of role that would normally be above thee title. If they want to put a second name above the title, it would seem that Rachel McAdams is the most logical one. She has also become a much more recognizable star than she was when Mean Gils was originally made.
The above-the-title billing for Tina Fey is likely in her contract. At the time, after Lindsey Lohan, hot off of SNL, Tina Fey was the biggest star in the cast. Now Tina Fey has become something of a brand name, and she is probably THE biggest star in the cast, so it's not surprising that her name continues to be prominently featured.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The above-the-title billing for Tina Fey is likely in her contract.
It wasn't at the time of the film's original release. Lohan was the only one above the title on the poster. As far as I know, and I could be wrong about this, the 15th anniversary pink case Blu-ray is the first time that Fey's name appeared above the title.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It wasn't at the time of the film's original release. Lohan was the only one above the title on the poster. As far as I know, and I could be wrong about this, the 15th anniversary pink case Blu-ray is the first time that Fey's name appeared above the title.
By the 15th anniversary, Tina Fey was definitely the biggest star in the cast.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In this movie, as an actor, Fey is in a supporting role which wouldn't be above the title under any other circumstances. McAdams is the closest thing to a second lead in the movie.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
In this movie, as an actor, Fey is in a supporting role which wouldn't be above the title under any other circumstances. McAdams is the closest thing to a second lead in the movie.
I agree that McAdams is the second lead, but Tina Fey has far more brand recognition and her name being on the cover is likely going to sell more discs. There is no shortage of examples of B-movies where some struggling young actor made a brief appearance, then hit it big and suddenly found their names prominently featured in subsequent advertising for the B-grade movie (Marilyn Monroe, Brad Pitt, Jennifer Anniston, and George Clooney are a few who come to mind). It's all about whose name is going to move the product.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sure, but Tina Fey's brand recognition on this film is almost more as the writer at this point than as an actor. I think the best thing they could do would be to put Lohan and McAdams above the title and then say "Written by Tina Fey" under the title. I don't think it really makes a difference with a known quantity like this. People who want to upgrade Mean Girls to 4K are going to get it no matter whose name is on the box. But that is what would make the most sense to me given what the movie itself is presenting.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, then I suppose you could design some custom art and list whoever's names you'd like to see. :cheers:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's interesting that McAdams is on the spine with Lohan even though her name is not on the front cover.

81teBKuTGrL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Top post updated with official press release from Paramount

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks