MDF faq

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Isaac C, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Isaac C

Isaac C Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    It is settled -- my first Shiva sub will be of box type [​IMG] At AU$161 for a 24" by 4m tube and AU$60 to have it delivered, Sonotube is just too costly for me at the moment (when I only need a 24" by 21" tube) [​IMG] Depending on the size of ready-made ports, I'm looking at a box that is 21" deep, 15" wide and 35.5" high... max.
    Available in our local hardware store is 16mm MDF panels. Considering for the time being the above-mentioned box dimensions, would a box which uses two 16mm panels per enclosure wall (for a total of 32mm), using only a frame of corner braces, sound more "dead" compared to one which only uses 16mm panels and 5 panel braces?
    Thanks in advance!
    Isaac
    ------------------
    Subwoofer Simulator: http://www.geocities.com/f4ier/subsim.htm
    Factor Conversion Tool: http://www.geocities.com/f4ier/fct.htm
    [Edited last by Isaac C on September 26, 2001 at 12:28 PM]

2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

I don't know have the various formulas handy at the moment to say for certainty, but the moment of inertia goes up with the cube of thickness so doubling up increases stiffness 8x, and that's before adding in the effect of the glue binder. This will raise its MOE to ~ that of 19mm Baltic Birch. That's a lot of extra bracing required to match it though for a cab of this size it still needs some triangulation bracing to divide up the panels so that no area is > ~12"^2. Also, this motor is heavy enough to need a cross brace cradle IMO.
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

3. Isaac C

Isaac C Stunt Coordinator