What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

McLintock! (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
I would love for Paramount to give us THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY in Blu next.

Unless I'm mistaken, HATM is not in Paramount's bailwick; it's still owned by the Wayne estate.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
sonomatom1 said:
I would love for Paramount to give us THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY in Blu next.

Unless I'm mistaken, HATM is not in Paramount's bailwick; it's still owned by the Wayne estate.
That's true but Paramount would probably be the one releasing it to home video, as they did the DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
sonomatom1 said:
I would love for Paramount to give us THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY in Blu next. Unless I'm mistaken, HATM is not in Paramount's bailwick; it's still owned by the Wayne estate.
The Wayne Estate has licensed their titles to Paramount. That is the reason we have MCLINTOCK and HONDO in Blu from Paramount. I can see THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY being released from Paramount with in the next year.

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
Regarding HONDO 3-D from Blu-ray.com

"Hondo Blu-ray Review

One of The Duke's best finally makes its Blu-ray debut.
Reviewed by Martin Liebman, May 22, 2012

Note that much of the historical background for this review -- namely the discussion of the film's limited 3D screenings upon its release -- is derived from the supplementary features found on this disc, namely the Leonard Maltin/Frank Thompson commentary track. These gentleman state early in the commentary that the film received a limited, weeklong 3D run in New York and Los Angeles (and possibly in the premiere city of Houston) and was shown otherwise in 2D thereafter. This information is disputed by Bob Furmanek and Jack Theakston, authors of the contrary yet highly informative article 'The 3-D Release of HONDO,' published on the 3-D Film Archive website. Either way, the release of 'Hondo' remains one of the more fascinating stories from the 1950s, a story made all the more interesting by the contrasting information coming from two reputable sources."

Fascinating stuff, I think.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Any reviews out yet on this?

Not that it is going to persuade me differently, as I pre-ordered this months ago. But I would like to see some comparison to the Olive Film's release.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Have yet to see a review of this but that is sort of TODAY'S BIG BLU-RAY STORY for me...I wanted to see how people compared this to the Olive release. Seems nobody has had a chance to review it yet but I should have a copy of it today and hope to compare and contrast tonight.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I received my copy of Paramount's BD release of McLintock! today. I spot checked it, and then got out my Olive release and compared the two. The Paramount has a much more refined look with better contrast and sharpness, which you would expect, since Olive's version came from release prints.
The Olive version has more hyped-up color but it doesn't necessarily look accurate. The Paramount color is more subdued but more natural and I prefer it. All in all, this is a very nice release from Paramount. Now, guys, let's do The Sons Of Katie Elder, In Harm's Way, Donovan's Reef, and really go out on a limb with the PD One-Eyed Jacks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Reggie W said:
Have yet to see a review of this but that is sort of TODAY'S BIG BLU-RAY STORY for me...I wanted to see how people compared this to the Olive release. Seems nobody has had a chance to review it yet but I should have a copy of it today and hope to compare and contrast tonight.
Simply beautiful! I'm still watching it and I don't even have to pull out my Olive BD to compare as this Paramount release is clearly superior in every way. Quite honestly, I'm more impressed than John with this BD release. Now, back to my showing.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:
Simply beautiful! I'm still watching it and I don't even have to pull out my Olive BD to compare as this Paramount release is clearly superior in every way. Quite honestly, I'm more impressed than John with this BD release. Now, back to my showing.
Oh boy, can't wait for mine to arrive. The UPS truck generally rolls into this area around 5pm, so shouldn't be much longer now. From yours and John's report, I'm in for a special treat!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Well, watching it now, and the image is just drop-dead gorgeous! What a pleasure to have this film in such a wonderful presentation!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After viewing the Paramount BD in its entirety, I tried to watch the Olive BD again for some comparison shots. However, my eyeballs almost exploded from doing so.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Just ordered this from Amazon UK Marketplace, only £10.30 delivered. Keep them Duke's a'coming!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching McLintock! this morning.

I found the film to be...okay. Certainly not one of the better John
Wayne films I have seen, and I think the reason is because of its
light-hearted nature. I can see how it probably greatly appealed
to the audiences of its time, but now 50 years later, it comes off
as being a bit "hokey."

...that's not to say that I was thrilled to see a few familiar faces
in this film. Notably, Yvonne De Carlo (The Munsters), Strother
Martin, Edgar Buchanan (Petticoat Junction), and a very young
Jerry Van Dyke.

The transfer itself looks decent. No sign of wear and tear outside
of the opening credits. I thought the recently released El Dorado
looked significantly better, though.

I am not sorry I picked this up blindly. I suppose I like the more
serious John Wayne efforts better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Just finished watching McLintock! this morning.

I found the film to be...okay. Certainly not one of the better John
Wayne films I have seen, and I think the reason is because of its
light-hearted nature. I can see how it probably greatly appealed
to the audiences of its time, but now 50 years later, it comes off
as being a bit "hokey."

...that's not to say that I was thrilled to see a few familiar faces
in this film. Notably, Yvonne De Carlo (The Munsters), Strother
Martin, Edgar Buchanan (Petticoat Junction), and a very young
Jerry Van Dyke.

The transfer itself looks decent. No sign of wear and tear outside
of the opening credits. I thought the recently released El Dorado
looked significantly better, though.

I am not sorry I picked this up blindly. I suppose I like the more
serious John Wayne efforts better.
I have to disagree with you there. I'll take another look with the El Dorado BD, but I definitely wouldn't say it looks significantly better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks