What's new

Matrix: Revolutions on DVD by Christmas? (1 Viewer)

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
It's kind of a known thing that the DVD production of most films goes on the same time as the movie. I could see Revolutions out before Christmas, in a bare-bones version of course.
I remember reading an article a year or so ago about studios kicking around this idea - Being able to go to a theater to see a movie and then have the option to buy that movie on DVD on the way out. Considering many DVD buyers are "impulse buyers", I can understand their thinking.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I dont think it would be a good business decision to sell DVDs and open movies at the same time.

I usually bring a lady friend to the movies so I'm paying out the cost of a DVD right there. I would much rather view things on a nice home theater with no distractions than in a theater. I do like the theater experience, and I would go for something things, but for most I'd perfer at home.

I think a 3 to 6 month wait would be the optimal release time for a dvd. I would also think that some movies wait until after the movie has made some cash in order to decide how much to invest in its dvd production.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
Can't we just skip the theater and buy the DVD first?
They tried that with the "Left Behind" dvd. Bad idea if you ask me....and it turned out to be. Hmmmm lets put it out on dvd then everyone will like it so much that they'll flock to the theaters to see it again! Nice intention but bad for business....

Brenton

Screenwriter
I don't own any of the Matrix films, but I would like to buy a deluxe boxset of all three.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I heard a rumor that I am personally taking with a large chunk of salt....

The reason for the meeting may have more to do with the Wachowski Brothers plans for the DVD of the movie. There may be some scenes that did not have complete VFX shots in time for the October print lock, so they may have been waiting to see how well the movie would do before completing these effects for the DVD.

The scenes? (And take this with a grain of salt)....

1. Smith copies his code into Seraph and Sati. You only see The Smiths (ha!) enter the room, and then the scene cuts into the Oracle's apartment.

2. Smith visits the Hell Club and assimilates the Train Man.... (and maybe some other people!?!).

I'd personally love to see these scenes in the film, but it nearly sounds too good to be true.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I think this was an idea floated here on the HTF rather than an actual article. The truth is that something similar was tried back in 1980 with "9 to 5", the video was available virutally simulatneously with the theater prints, and the theater owners went apeshit. They threatened to pull the film from theaters. That's why there's a window between theater and video, and why it will remain.

There's a lot of money left to be spent on this movie through the holiday season, and Warners will do their best to capitalize on it. Even if there's a huge drop-off next weekend, that means nothing. EVERY big blockbuster has been having an average 50% drop off to the second weekend. HULK was a stinker which had a 65% or more drop to its second week and it still went the normal route to DVD. So will Revolutions.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Wow, the WB clearly doesn't have faith in this franchise anymore. I seriously can't believe they are considering this. Like Chad pointed out, Hulk stunk (not in my mind, but to mostly everyone I know who saw it) and it was still on DVD 4 months later. If they do release, there better be a individual release, otherwise I'll pass on the "box set" with great reluctance and wait for the single title release sometime next year.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
They might incorporate the scenes from Enter the Matrix videogame into the Reloaded Boxed Set via optional seamless branching! How awesome is that! Some of the dialogue in that game was a lot better than Reloaded and Revolutionsa and it really explained a lot of little things ppl got hung up on. Also gave Niobe, Persephone, and Ghost more needed screentime.

Interview with Silver from Chud:

http://www.chud.com/news/nov03/nov2joel.php3

"S.J.R.: Was that what happened with the first Matrix? There was a big special edition of that coming out that then got pulled.

Lord Joel: Yeah, we decided to do it now. The boys always wanted to re-transfer the first film. They weren't really happy with it. They always thought it was too light. They didn't really have the time then. They want to re-transfer 1 and they want to connect all of the scenes that they shot for the videogame with the DVD. There'll be some kind of an icon that you'll go to that go right to the scenes from the videogame that will continue and then you can go back to the movie. You'll be able to follow all of that and then do a lot of stuff that they want to do, so there'll be a big three-part next fall. That's our intention. But the thing is, when you watch all three of them together, I really feel...after I saw Two Towers, I went out right away and got a print of Fellowship of the Ring and I watched it again. I wanted to see how it tracked and it was very effective. It worked very well. But I really believe, not having seen all three of these together yet, that when you watch all three of them it will be a really excellent experience."

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
The Zion war was cool though. :emoji_thumbsup:
What's this? You liked a huge chunk of the film? and you spent time making a web page (not much time, but you did bother to type something, use MS-Paint to create some "art", and publish the page to a server) You liked the film, but it wasn't exactly what you wanted to see in the last chapter.

But, back to the point of this tread: The idea of rushing the film out to DVD ASAP is because of money, not quality film making. The two don't go hand in hand.

The movie will make tons of money and rushing the DVD out in a month is stupid.

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator
There's no way Revolutions will be out on DVD by December!

Even major duds like The Real Cancun & From Justin to Kelly took just over 2 months to come out on DVD, and they were rushed out! :D

George See

Second Unit
I'll be buying a box set, i've avoided purchasing the first 2 thus far, holding out for some kind of uber box set. I just hope my wait is not in vain.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
David,

I knew something was missing, I knew there had to be a scene where Smith took over Club Hell, but they probably just took it out due to time constraints. He had to have taken over the Merovingian.

You know there were deleted scenes for Reloaded and Revolutions hopefully there'll be on this box set everyone's waiting for. I really don't see Revolutions hitting by Christmas, the earliest I can see is February or March. I'm leaning towards the former myself.

Haden

Supporting Actor
David, are those 2 deleted scenes just your speculation, or is there actual evidence that those were scripted and filmed? I'm curious about any known deleted scenes from all 3 films, but IMDB lists nothing.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

Two grains of salt. A recent game developer conference (last week) had a lot of representatives from digital effects/ animations studios. Somebody had mentioned that these scenes were on the bottom of the list of effects that had to be complete. They didn't make the deadline for the print-lock, but the studio was going to finish them anyway. All of this was mentioned in reference to the Matrix On-Line game, and some people speculated that other FX studios might be completing some shots, too.

I got this information from a chat that I had with one of the attendants. He isn't too much of a fan of the movies, and was assuming that any additional shots were going to be saved for the new game. I did, too, until I heard the specifics.

Until we get confirmation from a shooting script or official news site, I'm not going to believe any of it. I think that I've seen these scenes mentioned on one Matrix fan site forum. Nowhere else.

However the fan site also mentioned another scene featuring Agent Smith assimilating Agent Johnson, who was initially listed as a cast member of Revolutions.

I'm not holding my breath in anticipation of these scenes, and I wouldn't suggest that anybody does, either...

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
You know there were deleted scenes for Reloaded and Revolutions hopefully there'll be on this box set everyone's waiting for.
Don't forget. There was deleted scenes for the first Matrix movie also, which weren't included because The Bros. didn't want them to be included.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
This link would seem to indicate that the initial premise of this entire thread is BS.

I would bet vital parts of my anatomy that we will not see this on DVD before the years end.

Lev-S

Second Unit
NickSoune, that website I linked isn't mine. But thank you for thinking that I put that much effort into criticizing a movie!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks