What's new

Match receiver to speakers, or start from scratch? (1 Viewer)

privatejookie

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin
After many long weeks of audio research I eventually wound up on this site which changed my mind on how I want to go about an entry level setup. This all started from building a new computer and figuring out the audio portion of the build. I have a couple of unused freebie speakers and decided that it would be worthwhile to finally use them (I thought).

Currently I have:

4 - Bose 141

2 - Altec Lansing Model 75

I feel dirty muttering Bose on this forum, but eh, they were all free. And yes, they are old, but in great condition.

So at first I thought "Hey, I got free speakers, lets find a receiver to match them to!" Which lead me to things like the Denon AVR-1611 and the Onkyo TX-SR508. But then I stumbled across this site and it made me ask the question - is it worth it?

So I am looking for a good bit of advice. Should I find a receiver to work with what I got, then integrate quality speakers at a later time? Or should I just start fresh with something?

My price range is ~$500. (little more if I can justify the cost)

I like the option of multiple zones and some of the other options the receivers offered. They offer enough inputs to accommodate everything I require. The 2 rooms vary in size. Oddly enough, the small room (12x12) is where the main setup will be and the large room will be the 2nd zone. The use is split up equally between music/gaming/movies.

So now turn it over to the experts, what should I do?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
My entry level rule of thumb is 50-25-25. I.e., 50% of your budget should be on speakers, 25% on the receiver, 25% on the monitor/TV. The reason for this, speaker quality matters.

The main issue you have is mismatched speakers, no center channel, and no sub (essential for Home Theater if you want "big" sound but can only afford little speakers). I'm not going to bash the Bose 141, but there is better, much better, out there.

Personally, I would first look to invest in 2 good quality speakers with the matching center channel and use the Bose for surrounds as a stop gap measure until your budget allows further development. With your budget, you would be better off to get a separate 2ch receiver for your second zone than to initially invest in a more expensive receiver up front with the capability.

My recommendation, look for something used. Develop the speaker portion first with an adequate used receiver (3-4 years old) and then expand from there.

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks