What's new

Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Blu-ray December 10th, 2013 (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Professor Echo said:
Nice memory, but next time how about a friendly neighborhood SPOILER WARNING? Unilkely as it may seem, it's possible some folks reading this thread may never have seen the movie.

The HTF policy on this should always be to never assume everyone has seen everything and to always include a SPOILER warning. Rant over.
My apologies, but I have to agree with Russell. If we start spoiler-tagging the open discussion of 50 year old films being released on Blu-ray at HTF we might as well start spoiler-tagging every single film discussion on this forum.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Russell G said:
If we're going to start spoiler tagging discussion of 50 year old films, we might as well not even bother discussing them.
Be my guest then and bow out.

Spoilers are unnecessary, unwanted, uncaring and not welcome. The omission of a courteous warning should never be dependent on the age of the film or anything else. If a poster can't be polite and take the time to type a seven letter word before revealing an ending or a major plot of a title under discussion, that's pretty sad.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Professor Echo said:
Be my guest then and bow out.

Spoilers are unnecessary, unwanted, uncaring and not welcome. The omission of a courteous warning should never be dependent on the age of the film or anything else. If a poster can't be polite and take the time to type a seven letter word before revealing an ending or a major plot of a title under discussion, that's pretty sad.
:laugh:

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Spoiling a 50 year old film really??If we can spoil films in the movie threads once released surely we can discuss 50 year old films. If a film means that much in terms of wanting to see it without being spoiled wouldn't you actively avoid threads like this too?Looking forward to this.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Yay!! Finally using the original logo! I love the cover. It's bold and smart to feature her iconic image flying over the simple background. So excited!! Thank you for sharing the ad, Ronald.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Early days into this thread, but let the fun begin.

mp1.jpg

mp2.jpg

mp4.jpg

I'm not sure if these 35mm IB Technicolor scans are from an original or a re-issue print.

Doug.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great news about this release - more Dick Van Dyke on BD is always a good thing. :thumbsup:

Here's my $0.02 on spoilers....while a film like Wizard of Oz likely doesn't need spoilers, there are many people still discovering classic films that they didn't see in childhood. Films like Laura, Great Escape, Vertigo and, yes, even Citizen Kane, should, in my opinion, have spoiler warnings for key plot twists or surprise endings. This doesn't mean we can't have in depth and lively discussion on these films. In fact, many threads on HTF have inspired me to buy an older movie I've never seen. But I certainly don't want to be exposed to something that would take away the enjoyment because (for example) I was alerted to the killer in Laura ahead of time. At the end of the day, adding a spoiler tag where appropriate is, again my opinion, the considerate thing to do.

As to Poppins, I myself saw this the first time last year as part of Cinemark's classic series. It wasn't a glorious restoration like Lawrence of Arabia but was still a delight to watch due to the charisma of the two leads. Hopefully both of them will be able to contribute interviews, etc. to this BD.
I would love to see the Sherman Bros. documentary "The Boys" as a bonus disc.
Great idea, Peter. That was a wonderfully inspiring & yet heartbreaking documentary especially in light of the recent passing of Robert Sherman.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Simon Massey said:
Spoiling a 50 year old film really??If we can spoil films in the movie threads once released surely we can discuss 50 year old films. If a film means that much in terms of wanting to see it without being spoiled wouldn't you actively avoid threads like this too?Looking forward to this.
If someone is admonishing people on this thread for spoilers, I have to wonder how long he's been living under a rock considering the age of THIS film... :lol:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You know, I'm as spoiler averse as the next guy (to the point where I avoid movie threads in HTF until I've seen the movie) but come on, there's got to be a statute of limitations on this thing. Otherwise we can't discuss plot points for any movie…ever.

I think Mary Poppins definitely falls outside of that statute of limitations. :rolling-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.