What's new

Marvel's GUARDIANS of the GALAXY Vol. 2: May 5th, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't think "earlier" is the right term. The "original" Guardians of the Galaxy in the comics from 1969 are in the distant future. The title was brought back in 2008 set in "present day" with a new team, which these movies are based on.

View attachment 38078

View attachment 38077

The "original Guardians" included characters like Yondu and Stakar (Stallone's character AKA Starhawk) and several others that have been reimagined in the present day for theses movies. The group Stakar was getting back together in the end credit scene are all "original GotG".

http://nerdist.com/guardians-of-the...allone-michelle-yeoh-ving-rhames-miley-cyrus/
I thought the reference was to actors that previously portrayed the Guardians.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I thought the reference was to actors that previously portrayed the Guardians.

No previous portrayals of the Guardians that I'm aware of, other than animated stuff.

I don't remember if any of the "original Guardians" were featured in those credit bubbles, but one of the credit scenes involved them. That has to be what whoever said what you heard/read was referring to. But no, no actors ever portrayed any Guardians of the Galaxy in live action before these movies.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I saw it last night and enjoyed it. I was probably too hyped up from Comic Book Girl 19's review and I felt like the more character-driven dialogue around the various family issues was kind of spoon fed to me. For whatever reason, I was expecting more subtlety.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
A second viewing really solidified it for me, I loved this movie. I really liked it the first time around, but on second viewing everything just flowed so well (without having the distraction of expecting the story to go in one direction, or focus more on one character, when it was going in another).

And while I think both are great, Vol. 2 really is the superior film (in my opinion). So much great character work and emotion. Loved it for the same reasons as the first, but loved it even more for delivering a deeper, more personal, and more moving experience than the first.

I mean, even freaking Kraglin has some really nice stuff in this. His reaction to the Ravagers showing up and giving
Yondu the honor of a Ravager funeral
really got me misty.

Question for those into IMAX 3D. I never viewed a "movie" in IMAX, but I've been interested in checking it out. My Cinemark is renovating their XD theater (putting in recliners), so I decided to try out the IMAX 3D at the Regal Cinema (bit of a further drive).

Overall, I thought the presentation quality was really nice. The 3D seemed very good, maybe it was even brighter than what I'm used to? Not sure about that. However, there was one thing that was a surprising disappointment. The pixel structure was very visible from where I was sitting. I wasn't expecting that. Being IMAX, I thought I'd sit a little closer than the distance I normally would (relative to screen width) in regular theaters like Cinemark XD. I don't think it was crazy close by any means. I'd guess about two rows closer, though it is possible it could have been about three (relative) rows closer.

Was the pixel structure so visible simply because I was closer and do you think it would have disappeared if I moved a few rows back? Or do IMAX 3D DLP projectors tend to show more screen door in general?

I would have just moved back a couple of rows if I was by myself, but I took my parents for Mother's Day and my Mom doesn't have such an easy time getting around. So I wasn't about to ask her to get up an go up more stairs once I noticed the pixels were visible during the trailers.

I guess I'm asking, if I were to sit at a distance that is the same (relative to screen width) as I would in a Cinemark XD theater, should the pixel structure be just as invisible on an IMAX screen?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I've never once seen screen door at an IMAX showing. I don't sit in the front section, but the first or second row back of the main section.

I didn't get a chance to see this in IMAX because they're remodeling so I can't speak to the presentation of this one, although I don't see how it'd be any different than the other showings I've seen.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sean, regarding IMAX - you shouldn't be experiencing a screen door effect (visible pixels) like that. IMAX uses dual projectors slightly offset and the overlap is supposed to blur any visible pixels. The projectors are supposed to run calibration every morning to ensure alignment so you don't see exactly what you described.

If you've got a moment, you should email the IMAX Chief Quality Officer and let him know of your experience - they put up a title card at the end of every presentation asking for feedback. The email address is "[email protected]" - in my experience they've always gone out of their way to address any issues or shortcomings and I imagine they'd do the same for you.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Just saw this in IMAX 3d. Loved it. All of the humor worked for me.

Its hard to comment without echoing what's already been said.

No one has mentioned the nebula-gomorrah battle yet, but what a sequence. The intensity of nebulas battle cry, the ship plowing through the cavern, the ridiculousness of the gun gomorrah winds up using, the raw emotion between sisters (family), and that gorgeous shot of the two silhouetted at the cave entrance in front of the orange yellow sky.

And every sequence in the film was like this: intense, humorous, over the top, emotional and gorgeous.

And the 3d during the imax scenes was excellent. Particularly when the ashes floated out from the ship and then out into audience.

I absolutely loved this movie.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

No one has mentioned the nebula-gomorrah battle yet, but what a sequence. The intensity of nebulas battle cry, the ship plowing through the cavern, the ridiculousness of the gun gomorrah winds up using, the raw emotion between sisters (family), and that gorgeous shot of the two silhouetted at the cave entrance in front of the orange yellow sky.

And every sequence in the film was like this: intense, humorous, over the top, emotional and gorgeous.

And the 3d during the imax scenes was excellent. Particularly when the ashes floated out from the ship and then out into audience.

Hear, Hear!

The relationship between Gamora and Nebula was nicely handled.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Sean, regarding IMAX - you shouldn't be experiencing a screen door effect (visible pixels) like that. IMAX uses dual projectors slightly offset and the overlap is supposed to blur any visible pixels. The projectors are supposed to run calibration every morning to ensure alignment so you don't see exactly what you described.

If you've got a moment, you should email the IMAX Chief Quality Officer and let him know of your experience - they put up a title card at the end of every presentation asking for feedback. The email address is "[email protected]" - in my experience they've always gone out of their way to address any issues or shortcomings and I imagine they'd do the same for you.

Thanks Josh. I just sent an email with all of the info.

The presentation was otherwise really great, but the screen door was really disappointing bad. I'm glad to hear that it shouldn't be this way.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw this on Day 2. I don't think it was quite as good as the first one, but it was pretty close. A lot of good character moments and humor in it. The one drawback was the running gag with the Sovereigns being made to look like fools all of the time. It started to get a bit silly and old by the end, plus they ended up basically repeating the sovereign battle fleet destruction scene twice. The Sovereign battle pod scenes lacked tension and felt too video game-like due to a lack of consequences, other than a lot of destroyed machinery.

Watching this film at my hometown theater, after watching Fate of the Furious in a Vancouver area theater, really left me feeling how outdated and tired the theater is where I live.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

IMO, I think most people will enjoy this film more in their second viewing due to the family and personal dynamics exposed in this film.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

I received a response back from the CQO. He said that he was surprised that the "screen door" was evident to me in 3D at my described seating distance and that he believes that the system was working properly.

They will be sending me two complimentary tickets, so I'll try another showing and sit much further back. I was in "I" so I'll try "K" or "L". I'll see how that goes, but even if it looks fine from the back of the theater, I'm at a loss for how this can not be bothersome for people sitting in probably over half of the seats in the auditorium. My corrected vision is good, but nothing unusual.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I've found not all IMAX theaters equal. I saw Dr. Strange at One of Dallas' first IMAX theaters, (where I saw Prometheus and Pacific Rim, which looked fantastic), and the 3D was pretty flat, and I didn't notice the shifting ratio. I contacted the CQO who also said he believed the system was working properly.

I saw the Lego Batman movie at a mall IMAX and while not flat, the film looked too deep, so the pop out didn't really pop out, but just reached the front of the screen.

Both of those were sitting fairly far back, as my wife doesn't like sitting up close.

I tried a third IMAX, north park fifteen, for guardians, sitting in row F. It's amazing how much difference a few rows up makes. The picture was much larger, the minute detail stunning, and the threeD actually projected outwards.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Big second weekend for the movie. It's going to have staying power. Taking the kids a second time next weekend.

Big embarrassment for Warner's King Arthur movie, which was planned as the first of four or five Arthur films. The reviews were savage. Why can no one make a decent King Arthur movie? The last good one was Excalibur and that was 36 years ago!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Big second weekend for the movie. It's going to have staying power. Taking the kids a second time next weekend.

Big embarrassment for Warner's King Arthur movie, which was planned as the first of four or five Arthur films. The reviews were savage. Why can no one make a decent King Arthur movie? The last good one was Excalibur and that was 36 years ago!

My wife and I saw the preview of King Arthur with Guardians. We always whisper our views. Both of us had no interest in seeing it what so ever and predicted a flop. To quote high school kids: "it looked boring!"

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
We finally caught this in 3D on Sunday at our local 60 foot IMAX venue. Loved the movie for the most part! I thought it was a flailing around a bit in the middle and it probably could have used another few hours in the editing suite, but it was a pretty wild ride. Rocket finally got to display his complete bad-assery, the fight between Nebula and Gommorah was pretty epic, the jokes were mostly good and there was a surprising amount of emotional depth. The 3D was excellent, as was seeing the trailer for The Last Jedi on that huge screen - in 3D as well! We both thought it looked great.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
We finally caught this in 3D on Sunday at our local 60 foot IMAX venue. Loved the movie for the most part! I thought it was a flailing around a bit in the middle and it probably could have used another few hours in the editing suite, but it was a pretty wild ride. Rocket finally got to display his complete bad-assery, the fight between Nebula and Gommorah was pretty epic, the jokes were mostly good and there was a surprising amount of emotional depth. The 3D was excellent, as was seeing the trailer for The Last Jedi on that huge screen - in 3D as well! We both thought it looked great.

On my first viewing I thought maybe there was some slowness in the middle act, but on my second viewing Indidnt think that in the slightest. I think the reason is that my mind kept thinking that the "adventure" aspects of the movie would come more from Quill. But Quill's journey in this movie is different and he has to be more "content" during that stretch so that you can really feel like he got the rug pulled out from under him when Ego reveals the truth. The second act focusing more on Yondu and Rocket really paid off for the climax as well.

During the first viewing I think a part of me was wondering "When is Quill going get in on the adventure?". On second viewing this all just flowed together much better.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The weekend actuals came in about 2 million higher than the estimates, so Vol. 2 pulled in $65.2M for a 55.5% drop. Pretty impressive second weekend hold for a big blockbuster.

I'm thinking Marvel should do a movie following Zardu Hasselfrau and his magic boat. They could make it work.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
IMO, I think most people will enjoy this film more in their second viewing due to the family and personal dynamics exposed in this film.

I think I kind of did. And it was just as good the third time, too!

First time since the original Karate Kid in 1984 that I've seen a movie three times in its initial run. (Granted, two of the tickets were free, but I wouldn't have gone back for the third round if I didn't want to.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks