What's new

Marvel’s Cloak And Dagger (Freeform) (2 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This has fast become the show I most look forward to each week. It's definitely telling one ongoing story that continues from where it left off, but because it's not on the Netflix model, it's doing a better job of telling satisfying self-contained stories too.

Lots of shows have done Groundhog Day episodes like this one, but never quite like this. The time loop is extremely short, seemingly around five minutes or so, for one thing. It's also not a real time loop, but a brain in a catatonic state skipping like a record, for another. But most importantly, the time loop isn't centered around our protagonists. They've intruded on the time loop from outside it. They're the key to ending it, but it's a means for the writers to separate Tandy and Tyrone from the rest of the world.

The whole thing with the phone ringing, and Tandy's dad being on the other end, was heartbreaking. Olivia Holt beautifully captured what Tandy must have felt, having this tiny sliver of her father back, not enough to provide but just enough to make the pain of his absence more acute. At the same time, when Tyrone presents her with the logic of how the phone must work, she's smart enough to listen to him and take his argument seriously. And when he's proven right, she lets her delusion of reconnection with her father go.

The best part of the episode, though, was finally getting to see Cloak and Dagger working together as a team. Tandy's control of her powers developed significantly over the course of the episode. Even if that only lasted inside Ivan's mind, it points to where she's headed on that front. And Tyrone was finally able to teleport at will, and choose where he wanted to go. Seeing them working in tandem to dispatch the zombified rig workers was a thing of beauty. As heavy as a lot of the subject matter was, this was the first episode with some real levity to it.

And the phone call was such a great way to end the episode. The show is doing a stellar job of developing Tandy and Tyrone as friends. If the show does pair them off romantically down the road, the time it's spending now to develop their bond platonically will pay dividends.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Another staggering hour of television. Week after week, this show just continues to deliver the most achingly human drama of any superhero show.

The cold open captures the duality of the episode: We open on two heartwarming scenes about aspirations for the future, first with Tandy and her father, and then Tyrone and his brother. But by the time the title card arrives, we realize that these heartwarming scenes are taking place on the day on the day of the rig explosion.

It's fitting that the show's eighth episode would center around the eighth anniversary of the rig explosion. More than any episode before it, the lines between Tandy and Tyrone's separate worlds are starting to blur. Tyrone's parents have met Tandy, and Tandy's mom has met Tyrone.

In most respect, Tyrone's family has done much better than Tandy and her mom at rebuilding their lives after the events of that night. But when it comes to grappling with the anniversary, Tandy and her mom's tradition of memorializing it seems much healthier than the Johnsons' strategy of avoidance.

As the episode goes on, the flashbacks play out over more or less the same amount of time, following Tandy and Tyrone in the hours after they woke up on the beach together, as they try to make their way home. Each brings a piece of the other with them; young Tandy is wrapped up in Tyrone's hoodie, while young Tyrone carries the laces of Tandy's ballet shoes. Along the way, Tandy commits her first theft and Tyrone encounters Evita's auntie, conducting the same voodoo tour her niece would lead in the present day.

When they each finally make it home eight years ago, cracks emerge in our understanding of their backstories: Tandy walks in to find her mother overdosed and unconscious on the couch, open pill bottles and a mostly empty bottle of scotch on the coffee table. Clearly her problems -- and her addictions -- did not result from her husband's death. Tyrone stands in the doorway of his parent's bedroom, listening to his mother breakdown: Tyrone's family didn't lift themselves out of his childhood neighborhood, they fled it in fear.

At the climax of episode, it seemed impossible that there were two episodes left in the season:
In a brilliant sequence reminicient of the Dark Knight's debut in Batman Begins, Tyrone puts on the cloak for the first time and stalks Detective Connors at the same docks where Connors shot Billy. His teleportation finally under control, he terrifies Connors into making a confession. O'Reilly and Fuchs, waiting in the wings, promptly arrest him.

Using the badge she stole from Tyrone's mother, Tandy slips into the corporate headquarters of Roxxon's gulf operations and uses her light daggers to shred all of the breaker boxes powering the building. She takes Peter Scarborough and confronts him with the evidence she's accumulated. He offers her a bribe, but clearing her father's name is more important to her. Instead, she uses a light dagger to slice through a steam beam, causing the floor above to start to crumble.

At the beach, the same beach where young Tyrone and Tandy woke up following their mysterious encounter in the water, Tandy and her mom and Tyrone release a lantern to remember what they lost. The three of them hold hands as they watch it ascend...

...which promptly sucks Tandy and Tyrone into a memory that is particularly potent for Tandy's mother. The scene plays out twice: first through the filter of a metaphoric movie theater, the version she's told Tandy and the version she'd like to remember. Then as it actually was.

Tandy's father is working feverishly in the days leading up to the rig explosion. Tandy's mother is bringing him a mug of coffee to keep him going. But when she puts the mug down on the table, it gets knocked over and spills all over his work. What follows is a shocking instance of domestic violence. We begin to perceive why Tandy's mom might have turned to drugs and alcohol. We begin to understand why she told her daughter that the only person she should rely on is herself.

It would be a devastating revelation for any child, but Tandy is particularly vulnerable since her image of her father was frozen when she was nine. He was her hero then, and the hard years since losing him have only further idealized him in her mind. Her reaction is to harden, and retreat back to old patterns. She takes Scarborough's bribe, because while her father isn't guilty of what he's been accused of, it's not worth clearing the name of a wife beater.

And Connors isn't down for the counter, either. When O'Reilly arrives at Fuchs's place for some celebratory breakfast food, she finds his corpse stuffed inside his own refrigerator.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show is surprisingly good.

I didn’t have high expectations going in, thinking it would probably be more of a “teen drama”, but it has really been excellent.

Same here, I watched last night's episode this morning and I love this show.
Good news for all of us. It was announced at the show's Comic-Con panel that the show has been renewed for a second season:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm dealing with a medical issue at the moment, so I just don't have it in me to write an in-depth review. That outside stuff also may have impaired my enjoyment of this episode, which I thought was the weakest one since the second episode.

My main complaint was the framing device with the English teacher outlining the hero's journey, and the particular juncture in the hero's journey that we're at now. It felt a bit too on the nose.

I did like seeing the ways that Tyrone and Tandy regressed, and how Tyrone pulled Tandy out of it (and himself in the process).

Quite the cliffhangers. Given the sequence of events, there's no way Fuchs's death could be pinned on Tyrone long term, not with a decent lawyer. But given the history in this country, I could see Conner's effectively framing him momentarily, and hoping that his fellow cops will take care of the problem for him. The final shot of Tandy, hands glowing, with the water tank girl holding a gun to her mom's head, was particularly thrilling.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is probably my favorite season of a Marvel show right now. Even with my medical issue still being a horrible pain, this finale cut through it and really delivered.

Yes, you could feel the budget shortcomings at times. A citywide meltdown should have had much greater scope.

But all of the character threads, all of the thematic threads, paid off beautifully. I loved how each act started with Evita's auntie recounting the story of a previous divine pairing.

I thought Tyrone's speech to the young patrol officer was brave and pointed and inspiring in the best way. Superman isn't at his best when he's using superstrength, or using his eyes like laser beams. He's at his best when he's inspiring others to be better. At that moment, Tyrone was caught in the trap of an unjust system designed to destroy him, and rather than lash out he tries to inspire his captor -- a full participant in that dreadful system -- to be better. A brilliant piece of acting from Aubrey Joseph. "Supergirl" and others could take note about how to be topical in a way that builds on character and drama rather than grind those things to a halt.

And the use of Olivia Holt's cover of "Come Sail Away" at the climax was just perfect. Right song choice, and she put all of the feeling of Tandy's journey over the course of the season into her vocals.

Loved how first Tyrone got the mark indicating that he would be the one who has to die, and then Tandy got the mark indicating that she would be the one who has to die. And because they refused to play by the rules, broke the curse.

Loved the visual presentation of Cloak & Dagger channeling the energy out of the city.

Loved the swap at the end, with Tyrone now homeless in the church and Tandy back home with her mother. It should be bleak, but it's not -- because they have each other.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So what happened to Connors?
Showrunner Joe Pokaski told Entertainment Weekly that:

"...In the comics, Tyrone eventually does suck people up into his cloak, and in the comic book it kind of makes them live this existence and pops them out half a man. So we want to explore the fact that Tyrone is a doorway to something and that Connors has been sucked up into that doorway. [In season 2] we’re going to step into that doorway a little more. That’s part of why I love Cloak and Dagger, they have this power set that we can unfold slowly so our characters can understand each piece of it in an emotional way."

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
This show is surprisingly good.

I didn’t have high expectations going in, thinking it would probably be more of a “teen drama”, but it has really been excellent.

When it first came out I opted not to watch it just because I too thought it would be a teen drama type of show. But a few days ago I decided to give it a shot (binge it) based on Sean's statement and wow, am I glad I did. This was very well done. I am certainly looking forward to the second season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Season Two of "Marvel's Cloak & Dagger" will premiere Thursday, April 4th at 8/7c.
ABC Press Release said:
FREEFORM RELEASES NEW KEY ART FOR SEASON TWO OF

‘MARVEL’S CLOAK & DAGGER’ AND ANNOUNCES TWO HOUR

SEASON PREMIERE
SET FOR APRIL 4

Critically acclaimed series “Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger”
is the story of Tandy Bowen (Olivia Holt) and Tyrone Johnson (Aubrey
Joseph)—two teenagers from very different backgrounds who find themselves
burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers, which are mysteriously
linked to one another. The only constants in their lives are danger and
each other. Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to
control the power of darkness. They quickly learn they are better together
than apart.

Premiering on THURSDAY, APRIL 4, at 8:00 pm EST/PST with a two-hour episode, season two
turns the heat up on our young heroes as Tyrone and Tandy try to find their
place as more active heroes in this world. As they learn and grow
emotionally, so will their skills. In season one, we saw Tandy and Ty dip
their toes into the world of hopes and fears; this season, they will dive
deeper into this metaphysical pool. With enhanced powers and a decision to
make about the type of heroes they want to be, they make the choice to run
into the danger, head first. They tackle a heartless vigilante and uncover
an evil that’s been preying on the young women of the city, as the show
takes on more serious topics like gang violence and human trafficking.

“Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger” stars Olivia Holt, Aubrey Joseph, Emma
Lahana, Gloria Reuben, Andrea Roth and J.D. Evermore. The series is
executive produced by showrunner Joe Pokaski (“Underground,” “Marvel’s
Daredevil”) and Marvel’s Head of Television Jeph Loeb (Marvel’s The
Punisher,” “Marvel’s Jessica Jones”). It is co-produced by Marvel
Television and ABC Signature Studios.

Season Two Key Art:
C&D_S02_001.jpg

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Looking forward to season 2. Season 1 had a few too many instances of the plot being both stretched out and hurried, but was otherwise a solid bit of super hero story telling. The leads are fantastic.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Season 2 Full Trailer:

When this series was originally announced, I was bummed that it wasn't going to Netflix. Now, given recent announcements, I really glad it landed on a Disney-owned channel.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I was a big fan of the Cloak & Dagger comic characters back in the day, and felt they were very edgy & relevant at that time; I was a pre-teen when I read the comic with their first appearance (in Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-man comics), and found it extremely moving & disturbing. Growing up back in the '80's, the "Just say No" movement/campaign (especially in schools at the time) was everywhere. There was definitely a drug epidemic among school-age kids, and these C & D stories reflected this - all while not being at all preachy. I did try to follow the characters in the '80's, primarily the original 4-issue mini-series & their PPTSSM appearances. And, in the 200X's I ended up buying all of their classic collections.

So, when I first heard about a forthcoming Cloak & Dagger show last year, I wasn't too happy with the news since I felt a TV series would just screw up the whole mythology/characters.

However, with cautious optimism I decided to give S01 of the show a chance. And...I thought it was fantastic. They completely changed the origin, updated the characters, and changed the setting from NYC to New Orleans....but, it all worked well. And, I felt the show still remained "true" to the spirit of the original story, i.e. two teens from completely different backgrounds coming together due to their "shared" powers.

I found it interesting that Dagger's "light" knives actually can kill people/penetrate skin. In the original comic, they just made people "cold" and I guess they could kill if Dagger threw enough of them at someone, but weren't as damaging as seen on the show. However, I'm fine with this update, as I am with all of the modifications in the show vs. the original comic.

Looking forward to S02.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks