What's new

Mario Kart Double Dash!! real story? (1 Viewer)

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm confused.

According to GameSpot Mario Kart Double Dash will have the ability to let up to 16 people play. Which requires EIGHT Gamecubes and 2 people on each one (one will be driving, the other in charge of items)

Who is going to do this and why 8 gamecubes? That means 8 televisions. ...and I guess 8 mario kart games.
This sounds like something they'd have at a video arcade at the local mall, not something anyone would have set up at home.
I hate stating the obvious that everyone is complaining about,(why no internet functionality?) but this other idea of theirs is an interesting attempt to try and sell more gamecube systems.

GameSpot

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I think it would be fun to have 16 people play all together at the same time with the tv's, etc...

But, in reality most people are not going to buy or have all the equipment necessary for this...

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I'd expect tunneling software to be released, like XBconnect for the Xbox, which allows you to play over the internet with people as if you were on a LAN.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
What's there to not get? It doesn't seem like something that would logically happen, but it is what it is.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
My guess-the functionality was put in for Nintendo to use at Cube promotional events. There's also the possibility of game shops etc setting up tournaments etc with this configuration, but for the average person this just isn't going to happen. 2 cubes maybe, but 8?

I'd bet on tunneling software as well though-there's really no reason that it couldn't work the same way as the Xbox package.

Wow, people complain now when a company gives you more flexibilty than most people will need. "Nooooooo...I don't want to be able to hook up 8 Cubes." Normally, people complain when companies restrict your options.

I know they are kinda restricting internet play, but you'll be able to do it one way or another. It wouldn't surprise me if they actually are just keeping internet play a secret until just before release.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I don't like this setup, does Nintendo think people are too dumb to drive AND shoot off a red shell?

If I'm reading correctly, it seems like they've killed the multiplayer. 4 player split screen is the only viable option other than online play for most people. 99% of people aren't going to be hooking up 8 GCs and 8 TVs, and this rider/gunner setup is a disaster since there will only be one racer per cube. Anyone have any information on if they're also including NORMAL multiplayer options ?

Maybe Nintendo will sweeten the deal and require the second player to use a GBA as a controller.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I've been looking forward to dusting off my Gamecube for Mario Kart but lack of a split screen multi player mode all but kills my enthusiasm for it. That would be like releasing a sports game without a vs mode.........

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've read, they are going to include both regular multiplayer options and also this 16 player option. All the videos I've seen so far indicate that there will be 4 player split screen multiplayer. I don't think you have to worry too much about it. They're just giving more options this time around.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There are a few modes:

1) 4-player, 4-way splitscreen, old-school style
2) 4-player, 2-way splitscreen, with 2 players on each kart
3) 16-player, 8 GameCube, 2-way splitscreen, with 4 players per cube, 2 players per kart

Those are the ones I'm aware of. There's probably combinations of those available as well.

BTW, one thing I read about is the ability to change your character to suit the specific sections of the course (one might handle better than the other) or allowing one character to get a good item to use, then make them drive and hold the item for later use while the other character gets another item to use. The 2-character thing is quite ingenious, actually.

Nathan A

Second Unit
I just don't get why they can't include an 8 player option for those who can get 2 cubes together. Unless I'm misunderstanding...

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
There is an 8-player option. According to IGN, they've included a lot of options and different game modes. You can hook up anywhere from 2 to 8 gamecubes and have 2 to 16 people play. There is a co-op mode where 2 people are in one car or each can play individually. Did you guys really think Nintendo would screw up the multiplayer mode for one of their biggest games?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The options allow for the "one player is a driver while the other is the gunman" mode or the "each player gets their own individual kart and controls both characters" mode.

Mark Giles

Second Unit
Yeah, if someone can get the Tunnel service up and running that would make up for the madness your mentioning here. I bought a broadband adaptor for my GC months and months ago that's just collecting dust. Havent tried to play that on game online yet. Hope I can get some real use out of it soon.

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
I'm so looking forward to this game. If they lower the price of the cube in Europe as well I might just get me a cube for this game alone.
Mario Kart 64 is still my favorite party game.
(I don't know if this Mario Cart clone due to be released on the XBox will be any good)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks