What's new

Marantz vs Yamaha: Need help with receiver decision (1 Viewer)

I am in the middle of a receiver dilemma. I am putting together my first HT system and am trying to decide on a receiver. Use will probably be about 70% HT 30% music and the speakers will be either Paradigm Monitor series, or the lower level of the Paradigm Studio series, with an SVS sub. The contenders are:

Marantz SR6300
Marantz SR7300
Yamaha RX-V730
Yamaha RX-V1300

I don't know that I really want to fork out the extra money for either the 7300 or 1300, so that's why I also have the next-lower models listed as well. I am leaning toward the Marantz 6300, but have a concern since it does not have component video inputs. I currently have an HDTV receiver and my DVD player hooked up to my TV via component video cables and if I choose this model, I would not be routing the video through the receiver. Is this a big deal or not?

Also, any other pros/cons for any of the models listed? Also, I don't know that I really need two-zone capability. At this point, I can't see a need for it in my setup. Obviously, the higher models offer more features, but since I'm trying to put more money toward my speakers and sub, I'd like to get by with a less-expensive receiver that will still be able to last awhile before an upgrade. I just want to make sure that there isn't something I'm missing that I will need (like if the component video issue is a big deal).

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
First of all I'm not sure the RX-V730 is the true counterpart to the 6300, but I could be wrong. The 6300 looks pretty good from a feature point of view, but you really have to consider how the two sound as well. That should be a major consisderation. Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what are the price tags on all those units?

As for video switching... I think it's a nice feature but I'd only use it if I had to. For example if your TV has two component video inputs and you have two component video devices (ie. sat + DVD) then I'd just hook them both up directly to the TV and forget about going through the A/V receiver. Only if I got a 3rd component video device would I make use of my receiver's video switcher. So it depends on how many inputs your TV has and how many component video decides you plan on getting.

- Mike

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Dan on friday evening i auditioned the Marantz sr7300 and the Yamaha RX-V1300. both were available to me for the same price so that was not a factor. The SR7300 had a few features i wanted, such as the DTS 96/24 and slightly more power. however the Yamaha had a much nicer remote.

as far as sound quality went I personally felt the Yamaha won there hands down. it reproduced my dvd-a with more clarity at the higher volumes than the marantz did. now there was not much of a difference, but i was listenign to music I am VERY familiar with.

Also the Yamaha has a detachable power cord, that to me is one of the little things that shows the extra effort has gone into making this unit. there is no reason marantz should not be makign their models with this feature as well.

So I bought the Yamaha, but they are both very good.

Bob Goodrich

Agent
Dan, the two yamaha receivers you're looking at are really far apart. The RX-V1300 has been touted as a best under $1K receiver and has the power supply build quality to handle difficult to drive speakers. Some folks on this forum change equipment like I change socks while others live with their choices for a long time. If you're the latter, go for the 1300; you won't suffer from buyer's regret. As for video switching, only flagship receivers use a true mechanical switch to insure video degradation does not occur. It's not important unless multiple devices require it. Good luck.

Mike -
FYI....the prices I was quoted from my local dealer were (all in US $):

Marantz SR7300 $900
Marantz SR6300 700
Yamaha RX-V1300 800
Yamaha RX-V730 600

Whichever receiver I end up with, I plan on keeping it for a long time. At this point, of the four listed, I would probably go with one of the middle two in price - the Marantz 6300 or Yamaha RX-V1300. I don't know if that's a fair comparison, or if the 1300 should be compared to the 7300 instead.

I like the warmth of the sound from Marantz but have not been able to have a side-by-side comparison with Yamaha. I would like to get into some DVD Audio and have heard that Marantz would probably be a little better for that. However, from some of the research I've done, it seems that the Yamaha might have the edge in features (in comparison to price) and a better remote. That said, I'm still looking for more input...especially the Marantz 6300 and Yamaha 1300.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Well, I can't really tell you which brand to buy, however I would urge you to consider getting either the RX-V1300 or the SR7300 simply for the feature sets. Strictly from a feature by feature comparisson the 6300 simply doesn't seem to compare with the 1300. If you really like Marantz see if you can get a better deal on that 7300, although I'm sure you could also do better on that 1300 as well.

You also seem concerned about sound quality and the only way to know for sure is to listen to the two side by side. Are there any particular questions you have? I'm more familiar with the Yamaha lineup so let me know if you have any questions.

- Mike

Thanks Mike! If I think of any specific Yamaha questions, I'll let you know.

I am going to try to listen to them side-by-side. I was all set to get a Marantz 7200 - until they came out with the new models and the 7300 is now about US$150-$200 more than the price I was prepared to pay for a 7200. I was really hoping to stay in the $600-$700 range, but not at the expense of wanting/needing an upgrade within a few years. Also, FYI, I am keeping my choices between Marantz and Yamaha because my local dealer sells those and my wife gave me some gift certificates from there.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
With thos choices and prices I would take the Yamaha hands down. the sound is better (in my opinion) and comparing the 1300 and 6300 the yamaha has more features.

Sanjiva

Agent
I agree with the choice being limited to M-7300 or Y-1300. Between the two, it totally depends on how you like your music - brighter, detailed and crisp (Yammy) or nice, warm and laid back (Marantz). Purely for HT, Yamaha would certainly be a better choice. But for music, Marantz would be my choice.

Since, you are 70% HT, Yamaha may be a better option for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks