What's new

Marantz SR5200 (1 Viewer)

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
The MArantz SR5200 does anyone have Info on the reciever. Iam getting a great price on this reciver and I need some info. Thanks

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Did you go to their site? http://www.marantz.com/hifi/america/index.html
Hit products then products overview then A/V recievers then more products then SR-5200.
You can click the details/literature.pdf.
------------------
There can be only one!
My DVDs
[Edited last by Tom Morgan on August 18, 2001 at 03:24 PM]
[Edited last by Tom Morgan on August 18, 2001 at 03:25 PM]

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I listened to it through a pair of PSB 5T's and 6T's while comparing speakers and I had no complaints. Sounds nice. It is 85 watts per channel vs 105 watts per channel in the 6200. There are other differences, check the website or get the brochure.

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
I've been seriously considering this reciever. Where is this great deal? Any info you accumulate would be appreciated.
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I'm reviving this thread...I'm interested to know about this piece. Will the 100Hz be an issue?
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The SR 6200 has the 100 hz crossover and so does the 5200 and 7200 as far as I know. Although I was a strong advocate against high fixed crossovers when i was shopping for a receiver, I haven't noticed any problems. I have listened quite a bit and it sounds ok to me. Just remember, right of the bat, if you have good speakers and a good subwoofer, it will sound good. If you really want more bass management, then just get a crossover and an external amp later on. I might do that, but so far I don't think its worth it. I actually might try spending more time experimenting with sub placement and running the fronts LARGE with my subwoofer. If the 100 hz crossover is concerning you, go and listen and that should help you decide :)
[Edited last by Chris PC on October 03, 2001 at 12:02 AM]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I completely agree with Chris.
GET IT. You will not be disappointed, unless you want to be. I needed no justification when I bought my 6200, and I have no regrets now that I have it. I was also concerned about the fixed 100Hz x-over, but I also have to say that it is not a problem for me either.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

I was also seriously considering the 5200 until I realized that it doesn't have any component video inputs/outputs. Am I mistaken about that? I was planning to use them with whichever receiver I buy. I was planning to use then with PSB Image 4T's etc... the nice warm sound of the Marantz seemed to go well. If I'm correct about the video connections, does anyone know of another receiver that has the warm sound of the 5200 that has component video?
-Jason
[Edited last by Jason Spinosa on October 03, 2001 at 11:26 AM]

James D

Second Unit
Jason- You would have to step up to the 7200 for component switching. This unit also has more power than the 5200 and has a respectable remote. I picked mine up last month for $660. I feel that the Marantz line of receivers offers the best bang for the buck and is also the best for music playback.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yes. The 6200 has S-video switching and the 7200 has component video switching.
I agree with other posters too. Marantz has the best bang for the buck. Great for music and that is my number one concern, and yet, I still get the benefit of 6.1 (when I find room for the rear center someday) and DPL II.
Needless to say, I choose the SR 6200 and I also picked up a set of PSB speakers. After almost a month of total indecision, I finall went for 6T's. Although I have a great sub, I bought the 6T's because they are the most efficient Image speaker (apart from the prohibitively expensive 7T, which is the same as the 6T in efficiency) and they have great low end response. I also picked up a 9C and a pair of 2B's. The sound is great. I have been used to an uncoloured sound and the marantz is more of the same. I mostly hear music and not speakers. I still have a bit of a cold too. When the cold clears up, I'll be loving this setup even more.
Like I said, the 100 hz crossover is not worth worrying about, it is effectively implemented and if it bothers you even the slightest, which I doubt, you can run your fronts large and play with sub placement. Later on get an external xover and external amp and do the xover your self.

Mike_P

Agent
Can the 7200 switch component HD signals? HD signals are wider bandwidth, and some receivers with component video switching can't handle it.
Mike P.

GregJ

Agent
I got my 5200 at a site called audiosounddesign.com for $440. They have some good prices on the entire Marantz line. I had a Marantz amp back in the '70s (a model 1070) and I'm glad to see the brand making a come back.
Greg

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Greg, let us know how you like your new 5200.
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Charles Wan

Auditioning
Hi, Chris PC and everybody,
I just got my Marantz 6200 for about a week.
It sounds really great!
But when you said "you can run your fronts large and play with sub placement," I am a bit confused. I thought by running fronts large, all frequencies, including bass, are sent to fronts, and subs are not getting any signals. Am I right?
This is my first HT system. So, I am still learning.
Thanks in advance.

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
Although I'm sure Marantz receivers have quality amps, I know the power ratings are pure bologna. If the best Outlaw can do is offer 65x6 for $500 direct, there's no way Marantz can offer 85x5 for $550 (unless you run the speakers SMALL). Home Theater Magazine tested the SR7000 (rated at 100x5) and that sucker clipped at 64 watts (with only 2 channels running). When it comes to power ratings, there's almost no company there that has the courage to be honest because they know watts sell. As for us home theater enthusiasts, the only reliable ratings we really have are from companies like Outlaw and Harman Kardon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks