What's new
World Wide Stereo

marantz sr18 sep, amp (1 Viewer)

is their anyone using a seperate amp with this receiver.
need tro know how its working out. i have a pr. of n804
B&W speakers and i am thinking about getting a seperate amp.

thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
You should definately look into a sperate amp. The 804s have the resloving power to make it well worth your while. Any preowned 2ch amp >$300 will out-perform your marantz amps.

-rob

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Rob,

I'm not debating that his speakers would benefit from an external amp, but I think "any preowned under $300" may be a bit misleading. The SR-18 has a huge toroidal transformer and measures very well with 2 channels driven.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...ntz_SR-18b.php

I would think he'd need a "good quality" amp rated at at least 200W into 8 ohms to hear a noticeable difference. Maybe you can get that for $300, I dunno.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I'm not debating that his speakers would benefit from an external amp, but I think "any preowned under $300" may be a bit misleading.
I said over $300. Still, you are right there may be exceptions. But...

Certainly something like an Acurus A150, A250, A200, or even an Adcom GFA-555 etc would be a step up. As well as most rotel gear.The A150 can be had for as little as $200.

However, I think that the "big" jump will come when you get into something like Krell, Classe, Conrad Johnson, Plinius, or Bryston etc. These are more in the range of $1200 but can be had for less, maybe even under 700-800, especially some of the lower powered Classe, CJ and Bryston stuff.

I dont think that you need something with huge power, I dont have the 804 #'s in front of me but the line tends to be fairly efficient. A quality 100wpc amp with a bias leaning towards class A (almost all of the above) would make an enormous difference. That is for sure.

Good luck
-rob

Mike Butny

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a marantz sr18 receiver and Im using two marantz ma700 monoblocks rated at 200 watts into 8 ohms and 300 watts into 4ohms. I use the monoblocks to power a pair of B&W 805s and use the remaining three amps in the receiver to power a B&W HTLM2 center and JAMO THX dipole rears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks