What's new

Marantz Owners/Lovers Speak up? I just auditioned one and I'm on the fence (1 Viewer)

Greg_Ritchie

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I just got back from auditioning a Marantz 5200 receiver. A local store has the 5200 on for $599 and the 6200 for $675 (Canadian). I'm looking to pick one up so I got him to audition the 5200 through some PSBs speakers. I'm a little concerned about the output of this, it sounded anemic turned up to 25db. How does this receiver perform in your experience? I've read fabulous reviews about it, but my setup at home (Cheap Kenwood Receiver and JBLs speakers all around) would have been way louder almost uncomfortably loud turned to 25db. I've come up with the following as reasons why the Marantz/PSB sounded so low.

1. PSBs might have lower sensitivity (my JBLs are 91db)
2. The showroom is way bigger than my listening room
3. The PSBs were much smaller speakers (specifically the center, it was smaller than a loaf of bread)

Also what is the difference between 5200 & 6200? The marantz website no longer has stats on the older models.

Thanks,
Greg

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
For $76 you get a more robust power supply and CS 5.1, an alternative to the already-included Dolby Pro-Logic 2. Both are worth the upgrade.

You must mean -25 db, since the max volume on these receivers is +15 db.

-25 db is fairly loud for TV, but not so loud for music (if you like your commercials moderate and your CD's loud, that is).

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Those models seem overpriced compared to the same models here in the Vancouver area. (5200 = approx. 399CAN) Make sure you check out when the 5200 or 6200 was produced (was it an earlier model with video flashing and on-screen menu proplems)?

chrisden

Agent
Greg,

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Marantz. I have had an 8200 for about a year and love it. Very musical.

Tom Lee

Agent
I agree, I have auditioned both the 18ex and the sr7200 and both were very musical. I give them my thumbs up.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have had my 6200 for a year now, and I am very happy with it. I'm looking to step to a 7300 now. I also agree: spend the extra $$ and get the 6200.

You can't use your current receiver's settings to compare another amp, they are two different animals. Normal listening in my system is right around -20 for most sources.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Hi Doug,

Where did you find a Marantz 5200 for $400 CDN? I'm looking for a receiver right now and that seems... awfully low for something like a midline Marantz (even though it's a year old)!

J

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldnt really consider the 5200 middle line marantz I would say.. Lesser level.. But I wouldnt consider it being lesser quality. Because its still marantz

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think that is low, considering the x300 line is now available. Now is a very good time to be looking for left over x200 series gear.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
The prices I quoted were from the A&B sound store in Surrey, B.C. - these were after Christmas. They may go back up, but use that price as a leveraging tool.

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
aw.. Havent really look at the new lines really hard.. I love mr SR-7000 :) time to upgrade soon I think.. 9200 perhaps??

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I have owned the sr8200 for about 5 months, and am completely satisfied with it...Marantz makes a great product...I'd grab the 6200 or better myself:)

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up a 6200 a couple of weeks ago and have it hooked up to Totem dreamcatchers and love it! By the way, i picked it up for $650 @ AmericanSound in Thornhill. Great store!

DarrenW

Auditioning
Greg, I live in Toronto and just bought a 6200 at American Sound for $650 on boxing day (open stock model, meaning the box was a bit wrinkled, but the unit is fine).

I have the B&W 300 series speakers - haven't hooked it up yet (waiting to move to new condo) so can't give you sound feedback, but thought the price may help you with your shopping.

Where did you find the 6200 for $675?

Darren

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I've had my SR7300 for a little over a month now...love it. Great sound, very musical, ht is awesome. :emoji_thumbsup:
I have no complaints other than the remote could be nicer.

nigel_h

Auditioning
Sean_McC,

I just ordered an sr-7300 from hifi.com. What is it you don't like about the remote? I understand they changed the type of remote on this new line.

I can't wait to get mine.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I've had a SR-8200 for over a year now, mated with B&W 600 Series 2 speakers. I have been completely satisfied with it, and until it doesn't do something *major* that I need it to do I wouldn't dream of getting rid of it.
I would say go with the 6200, if you don't, you will always wonder what might have been!! :)
Good luck!!!
Pete

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I also have an SR8200 and am happy with the output, save for the annoying delay in audio pick-up (for more info, do a search, as this has been previously discussed).

another minor annoyance, although this may be peculiar to my set, is that the remote seems to hang every now and then. it resets if I take out the batteries. since I haven't programmed anything into it (and therefore I juggle four remotes on my coffee table -- and my father in law bought me a remote organiser for Christmas) it doesn't bother me too much and I just reset date/time, but I wonder if anyone else gets this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks