What's new

Class/Jazz Music mostly: B&W603 vs Par Ref60 & Outlaw vs Marantz 6200 (1 Viewer)

BobPeck

Agent
I needed to get some advice on speakers and receivers. I want to trust my ear, and take my own advice. However, I've been auditioning speakers, but they haven't been ideal conditions (at different stores for B&W and Paradigm) in the middle of a showroom, played really loudly, with a really hi-end amp/pre-amp I can't afford, etc.)
I listen to mostly Classical and Jazz music. So, especially for jazz music, Staging/Imagery are very important to me. I am looking for a "warm" sound. I don't mean muddy or not dynamic, but warm.
While I'm mainly into music, I'm starting to get into HT (Tosh 50H81 should arrive Friday!)
biggrin.gif

First things first, Speakers:
I have been looking at B&W 603S2's and Paradigm Reference Studio/60's. Both sounded really good (but, as I stated, conditions were not side-by-side, apples-to apples) B&W's are slightly cheaper(~$200), but I'm worried that I have to turn the volume up for them to sound good (re:audioreview.com reviews.) Since I live in a Condo, this is important. The Paradigms are nice, but all around (especially centers) would cost a little more. And I've been told Paradigm's been upping their prices unecessarily, since they can (well, then again, that was the B&W salesman. . . .) Are the CM 4's any improvement?
Second, I need a new Receiver (Curtis Mathes(Pioneer, really) won't cut it, I don't think):
Either the Outlaw 1050 or the Marantz 6200. I've heard rave reviews about the Outlaw. But what about my specific aplication of Class/Jazz first, HT second?
Thanks for any advice,
Bob
Oh, this is bad. . . . 16:9 RPTV today, Speakers and AVR tomorrow, I can already see the order for the next fifteen things!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i have recently heard the Paradigms and B&W's. i'd say for classical and jazz, stick to B&W. the jazz i heard through them was so clear and so precise, i could close my eyes and envision myself sitting amongst the musicians. total bliss! the Paradigms are great, but for classical and jazz, B&W is the way to go.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Mike Main

Stunt Coordinator
Its funny I just listened to both those speakers on Sat. I found the paradigm midrange much brighter. You heard the difference. It really stood out at u. If ur comfortable with this and u believe the BW's volume to be cranked up b/c of the apt--then choose the paradigm-- The BW were nice- they were $1100 a pair i cant remember the paradigm. The music I sampled was the a disc from the JVC jazz fest-- so no sampled or doctored music just striaght lyrics and acoustic guitar. I also heard the 604 S2 which were $1500 or $1600 for the pair. The difference from my ears wasnt too much.
Just my 2 cents
Mike
------------------

Dave Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
well, i'm going to recommend the paradigms. the b&w's sound excellent for chamber music, or few instrument pieces - but i found them lacking in orchestral music, soundstage mostly.

Frank_K

Auditioning
For the warm sound, I highly recommend the Marantz receiver.
I have the SR7000 (newer model is SR7200) and I love the sound - it is super clean, and naturally warm.
As far as speakers, that's very personal, but in terms of your listening preferences I think you're on the right track. I personally did not care for any of the B&W's - I found them to be unnatural in the midrange - lots of coloration.
The Paradigm Ref 60's were on the top of my list, until I auditioned them side by side with the PSB Stratus Bronze.
These 2 speakers are almost identical in size, and close in price (the PSB's might have been slightly cheaper), but after listening for some time with a variety of CDs, I chose the PSBs and never looked back.
The PSBs to me were the most natural sounding of all the speakers I heard. The Para Ref 60 in comparison were a little too bright in the high end (for me) and had a slight honkiness in the midrange, which I wouldn't have noticed unless auditioned side by side with a speaker that didn't possess these characteristics (the PSB Bronze).
I've had these speakers for a little over a year now, it took them a couple of months to open up fully, and I am totally satisfied. They sound like speakers costing much more.
Cheers, Frank

Frank_K

Auditioning
Just to add to my previous post:
The Marantz 7000 (100 watts per channel) drives the PSBs with plenty of power to spare.
The BEST speakers I have heard are the PSB Stratus Gold, their top of the line - these were much more expensive than the Bronze's and would have required larger dedicated power amps to drive them properly.
Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks