What's new

Marantz, Nakamichi or Panny xr50 for bedroom? (1 Viewer)

MarkusP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I know that I'm probably making this far more complicated than need be but I'm looking for a decent system solution for my bedroom. I just spent months upgrading my main system (Anthem, Bryston etc). and now want something that sounds great on a budget for my stereo listening / tv viewing in the bedroom. My sources are:

* Cambridge Audio 540D dvd player for both CD listening and dvd viewing
* Motorola DCT-6208 Hi Def PVR for tv viewing (digital output)

These are hooked up to Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers. I will only have a stereo configuration - no 5.1 but want the DD 2.0 from my cable box.

I don't want to spend a lot of money, I just want good sound and flexibility. My top 3 contenders are:

* Marantz sr6400 (used)
* Nakamichi AV10 (used)
* Panasonic SA-XR50 (new)

Any recommendations and comments?

Thanks,
Markus

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you are going 2ch only, how about an integrated amp? They will always sound better than a comparably priced receiver, and they can be found quite inexpensively used. I'd probably look for the NAD C320 or C370, Marantz PM7000 (which I use in my bedrooom), all around the $300 range.

You would be giving up an FM tuner. You'd also give up digital connection capability, but if you are doing stereo only, it shouldn't make a huge difference anyway.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With the cable box, if the broadcast is not in DD2.0, you will only get whatever is broadcast. I've seen a few cable boxes that require you to have the analog connection also, becuase non-digital audio broadcasts would have no sound on the digital connection. Just something to check with your box.

In that case, the XR-50 sounds like a good candidate.

I've had a 6200 and a 6300, and I can tell you they have a slight problem locking onto digital audio streams at times (not a problem with analog), so they might not be the best choice, though I love the way they sound. I believe the 6400 still has this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks