Marantz DV6400 now or wait for the Yamaha S1500?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by PaulDA, May 12, 2004.

1. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Audio is of primary concern. I will be setting everything to LARGE/SUB ON so bass/time management is not an issue, just audio quality. I know the Yamaha isn't quite out yet, but does anyone know what DACs it uses and whether we can expect its audio to be similar to the S2300? I may decide to wait for the new Denons as well, it's just that I have a good price for a Marantz (but only for a little while).

Also, the Onkyo DV-SP800 appears to be coming down in price in anticipation of new offerings. Would its audio section be a serious cut above the two I listed, or just similar in a more rugged chassis?

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Does anyone have the Marantz? I have a good price for a few more days and, sadly, I can't audition it with my setup as it's all in storage for the next couple of months. Of course I'll try it out in-store, but that's sub-optimal and so I'd like some input from owners, if there are any.

3. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

If your system is down for a few months, why not just wait. Several good~great universal players are comming out this summer.

Panasonic, Samsung, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc.

Unless you have a pressing need, I would pass on the Marantz.

4. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I listened to it at the dealer. It sounded very nice. I still think if I were you I'd try to find a way to get a Denon 2900 if I were buying right now, I think for audio quality it is better (I can't believe I'm saying this, I love my Marantz equipment!).