What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Man I hate those "lock-tabs" (1 Viewer)

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
I really, REALLY hate those "lock-tabs" on the sides of keep cases that Universal and Paramount have been using lately. Exactly what is the freakin' point? Is it some anti-theft measure? If it is it's a really crappy one; takes longer to peel off the sticky plastic than it does to flip open a couple of tabs. I know you can easily snap them off, but then it just looks ugly.

It's really too bad, because Universal finally got rid of those awful keep cases they originally used (the one where the spokes on the center hubs broke off easily and the outer plastic would crinkle and warp) and switched over to cases similar to the ones Warner and MGM use. Now they've apparently decided to be their usual jackass selves and switch to these damn lock-tabs.

Just who the hell comes up with all these ridiculous designs for keep cases (not to mention those center hubs, GOOD GOD!)? Can't we just have a universal keep case? I would nominate the ones Warner and MGM uses; easy to open, no ultra-fancy ridiculous center hub, they're soft so they don't scratch the disc, and the outer clear plastic rarely crinkles or warps.

P.S. Why do some studios like to melt the shrink-wrap on to the spine? I hate it when it leaves its residue behind after you peel it off.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It's just one of MANY idiotic ideas that studios have implemented, especially in regard to cases.

Unfortunately, they will never learn.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Yes. I would assume it's done to stop people from just slicing open the anti-theft sticker and pulling the disc out. With the tabs, you have to open the entire case which takes longer, creates more noise, etc to get the disc out. However the tabs raise the question, why have the anti-theft sticker at all if you have the tabs?:)

No matter what the reason, I don't find it that big of a deal.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I really don't mind them but why must we have thye security sticker AND the tabs.... I really, really hate those stickers :angry:

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Most likely the tabs are there to cut down on theft. If it doesn't help they will probably go away. If they to help they are better than the plastic tape. I don't think the DVD's I have with tabs had the pastic on the side.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
No offense, but there are many worse things to complain about when it comes to DVD packaging. This is waaaaayyyy down on the list.

#1: 2-up stacking
#2: digipacks
#3: snappers
somewhere down here: lock-tabs

What I hate is when you buy the latest DooHickey (TM) from Best Buy and have to take a chainsaw to the plastic blisterpack to get the item out, destroying all documentation (and possibly the item) in the process.

Nope... lock-tabs are simply not a concern for me. No offense.

-Scott

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Tony,

I think "Lockers" have become the new "Snappers" for some people and thus we will probably see even more of these threads.

I actually was not terribly bothered by Lockers at first, but after having one returned to me with a dammaged case because the person did not know about the tabs and forced the case open, I am beginning to change my mind.

I have also found it annoying that now I have to check each case to see if it is a Locker before trying to open it, which if I am doing that during a screening with the lights out makes it all the more annoying.

Yes, of course I could tear the tabs off, and even replace the case if I really had to, but I'm not convinced these Lockers have any impact on preventing theft and as such why put the consumers through unnecessary hassles?

Exactly. In fact, what is even more ridiculous is that I am starting to see a lot of lockers with slip cases! If a retailer can not tell that someone is opening a case with just the standard security strip, having to slide off a case and open a couple tabs is hardly that much more effort. The noise a case makes when it snaps open is almost impossible to muffle. (I've tried on several occasions during a screening so as not to disturb anyone, and it never works!)

I would be willing to bet that none of these so-called security features has any significant impact on the number of DVDs stolen each year, and yet they have successfully annoyed millions of consumers. :thumbsdown:

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter

THANK YOU! I hate those damn blister-packs too...such a monumental pain...

The lock tabs don't really bug me much either...

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
A stack of about 50 Amery cases from INet works for me too. If i have a case i dont like i go to my stash.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
All the ones I've had have torn off very easily.

...until now. I almost drew blood tearing the tabs off of the Pocahontas case.

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
When you've got a three year old who can pull DVDs down out of the tower, the lock tabs slow her down enough before she can get to the disc inside.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I like them - it takes longer for me to open the case, and I feel feel like I got more for my money.

:D

Yes, I am kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks