http://www.220-electronics.com/
How do do these SAMPO players compare to
the MALATA?
I need one of these players fast - progressive
scan not needed.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Ron,

the PAL->NTSC conversion is nowhere near as good as the malata (or JVCs). The main problem is the aspect ratio is never exactly right. go with a malata or modded JVC - they are well worth the extra $$

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Short of a home theater computer, only the modified JVC units and the N996 (and it's replacement model the DVP-520 that should be out any day now--with the same features and same price but in a slimline case) can do proper PAL to NTSC conversion. For NTSC discs, the Sampo will be fine. Same thing for the Daewoo players you see mentioned from time to time in the forums. Supposedly other players from different manufacturers using the same Mediamatic's chip that's in the N996 and JVC units are on their way (per a posting by a company rep) but they're not here yet. Either wait, or shell out for another Malata or JVC would be my advise. You get what you pay for, and you're gonna pay around $300 to get a decent all-region player that can play PAL disc properly using an NTSC set. Unfortunately, you'll also be paying for the progressive capability that you don't need.

SusanO

Agent
Ron if you really really want to know a ton about Sampo players check out Area450 the Sampo 'fan' site:
Area 450
All the Sampos do slightly squish anamorphic PAL discs but like every piece of HT hardware there are tradeoffs to be made. The thing that impresses me about the Sampos is how hackable they are for the money
I love my new 631CF by the way and at $150 + $15 shipped from a gentleman by the name of Gene Callahan (he's an authorized Sampo distributor in California - check the Sampo price guides for his prices, references and contact info) for a region free, VCR friendly DVD player on a budget I can at least get a taste of overseas DVDs.

I have three Sampo 611 players and two Malata 996 players. The Malatas have excellent PAL to NTSC conversion and the great x-y scaling. After watching on a Malata, I frequently find it unpleasant to watch DVDs on my Sampos. I see a lot of conversion artifacts and video noise as well as a misshapen picture that I can't correct. Even without the progressive output, the Malata is a major step-up from Sampo.

Keith Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks