What's new

Major problem - sound stopped coming out of cable box.... (1 Viewer)

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I have the following set up - Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD cable box to an HK 7200 receiver. The cable box is connected via optical cable. I have never had a problem before, but starting today, there is no sound coming out. I plugged the DVD player in the optical port currently being used by the cable box, with the cable currently connecting the cable box to the HK. It worked fine - so, clearly the cable and the port on the HK are fine.

Any suggestion? I am flustered beyond belief.... Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Allan

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Have you tried rebooting the box? You should try turning it off and back on. If that doesn't do it, unplug the unit from power, let it sit for a few minutes, then plug it back in.

If a reboot doesn't do it, rerun the setup and make sure the digital audio options are correct. Something may have caused the box to reset to the default audio settings. It has been known to happen, especially following updates.

BTW, who is your cable company? I have a 8300HD DVR connected to a Yamaha receiver via HDMI cable, but I've also been having digital audio problems of late. A few weeks ago Comcast downloaded new software to convert the box to their Xfinity service. Ever since the change, it has been acting up, and I plan to bring it in next week to get them to swap it out. New Xfinity customers are being issued black, Cisco-branded DVRs and set-top boxes that carry the Xfinity logo. A friend of mine exchanged his SA HD cable box after encountering similar problems after the 'upgrade" and he tells me he hasn't had any problems with the new box.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Regards,

Joe

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Joe,

I was just downstairs playing with the cable box. I finally gave up, and did the old "fail safe" and unplugged the box. That fixed the problem.... My cable company is Cablevision for what that is worth. I just saw that you suggested the same thing. I wish i had thought of that before driving myself crazy!

Thanks!

Allan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks