What's new

Major distortion in Center channel (1 Viewer)

Omiros_n

Auditioning
Hello there,
i'll go straight to the point because my post is too large anyway.

I have the following system:
Yamaha DSPA-595a (5x70W)
Roister Silk 120 (120W, 8 Ohm) (Front)
Panasonic (70W, 6 Ohm (Rear)
and everything works and sounds fine for 3 years now in both stereo and AC3 programs (Phantom Mode)

Background (not very necessary to read that):
Recently i decided to add a center speaker to the system (although the Roisters produce excellent dialogue) to improve the localization of the center channel. Since, the amplifier has the ability to send the low frequences of the center channel to the front speakers, i decided to buy a smaller center (the Roister Centers are too expensive). So i bought an
Eltax C3 Liberty Center (70W, 6Ohm)

The problem:
When i connected the center speaker i realised that there was a SEVERE distortion to the dialogue. I tried decreasing the volume, switching cables and speakers but the problem remains. It seems that the problem is to the amplifier. Do you agree? It probably existed for ever, but i didn't know it because i never used the center channel. Unfortunately, the amplifier is out of warranty now, do you think it would be costy to fix it?

One idea by me:
2 years ago, for some reason someone in my family turned the volume to maximum while it was off. I didn't notice, so i turned on the CD-player, then the amplifier...and that was the death of the midrange of the right front speaker (that was fixed).
I think maybe that also may fried the center channel amplifier, since there was no speaker connected (less Ohms, more current), but since i had it to No Center Mode the center amplifier should be totally inactive (ehmm..right?). I am not really into the technical stuff so i am probably totally wrong.

Thank you very much in advance.
Omiros

Omiros_n

Auditioning
Anyone?

What can cause such major distortion to a specific channel on an amplifier? Tha Yamaha guy told me it might me the DSP chip?

Could be the amplifier of this channel is fried? Is there a seperate amplifier for each channel on this specific amplifier? If this is the case or the problem is on the DSP chip are they going to rip me off to fix it?

Heeelp!:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks