What's new

Mad Max SE, Buckaroo Banzai DVD details (1 Viewer)

Mike Russell

Agent
As posted on The Digital Bits:
MGM's just officially announced both special edition DVDs of Mad Max and Buckaroo Banzai! Anyone want details? Here goes...
The Mad Max: Special Edition streets on January 4th (yes, that is a Friday) for an SRP of just $19.98. The film will be included in anamorphic widescreen, and the original Australian English audio, remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1. This means that Mel Gibson's dialogue will be heard, as spoken by him, for the first time in the U.S. (his dialogue was dubbed by an American actor in previous releases). Mono English (Australian) and English (American) audio will also be included. The disc will feature over 2 hours of bonus material, including the Mel Gibson: Birth of a Star bio-documentary, a "making of" documentary entitled Mad Max: The Film Phenomenon, audio commentary by special effects coordinator Chris Murray, cinematographer David Eggby and production designer Jon Dowding, an animated trivia game and more.
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Special Edition will also street on January 4th (note that for a time, it was going to street on January 1st, but the 4th is now final) for $19.98. This disc will also include anamorphic widescreen video and remixed audio in Dolby Digital 5.1. Extras will include audio commentary by director W.D. Richter, John Lithgow, Peter Weller and Jeff Goldblum, a rare prologue sequence with Jamie Lee Curtis, deleted scenes with director's commentary, a "making of" documentary, trailers and more. The disc will also feature Nuon enhancements, including pre-selected zooms, behind-the-scenes facts and a condensed version of the film with selected scenes only. But you have to be one of the .1% of DVD player owners with Nuon capability to view any of that (and I don't mean that as a jab - just the facts). I also hear the interactive menus for this disc rock. Both DVDs should be a lot of fun, and kudos to MGM for going the extra mile with a pair of fan fav films. We hope to have final artwork for you soon.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Right on! Boy, MGM is really starting to get heavy with those special editions, aren't they? :) But I say bring them on!
It'll be nice to hear Mad Max in its original Aussie dialect...and in 5.1 no less! And it's been a long time since I've seen Buckaroo Banzai, so I'll pick that up as well.
Way to go MGM!
(A question though: is there a particular reason why it's being released on a Friday? It's not a problem at all, but it does seem kind of odd.)
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Absolutely great news on both films. MGM has really been kicking butt on the special edition versions of older films. They're quickly moving up the charts of my favorite DVD producers. Both of these are gonna cost us about $15, that's a hell of a deal.
------------------
"You know, there's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they
don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you." - Silent Bob
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai
Optimus Prime Films

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm very much looking forward to these. Hopefully, we'll soon see SEs of The Road Warrior (a must!) and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks