Mad Magazine Cartoonist Dave Berg Dies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, May 24, 2002.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

2. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Sad news, I grew up with Mad magazine, and still have a couple of Dave Berg's Mad paperbacks.

RIP Dave.

3. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

One of the little known greats. A true king of subversion.

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I haven't read Mad magazine in years, but his "The lighter side of" was SO funny. There's one that I still remember and always tell people about... a father and his young son stand outside their big house, looking at it. The father has his arm around his son's shoulders and says "Son, one day, all of this will be..." and then the next picture shows him saying ..."mine". [​IMG] It might not have been exactly like that, but very close.
    I loved Berg's little observations about society and culture, and at least my world was a lot funnier thanks to him. RIP.
    /Mike

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This is sad. I will always treasure those "Lighter Side Of..." times from my youth--when Mad magazine was "twenty cents CHEAP" and Norman Mingo did most of the Alfred E. Neuman cover paintings. And Mort Drucker's caricature prowess was at its evil zenith (what an artist!). And Bill Gaines at the helm.

Dave Berg was integral to the success of Mad. And he possessed such wonderful insights into day-to-day life.

Loved his work.

6. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

unfortunate news

definately one of the defining artists of MAD

7. Ken Wagner

Ken Wagner Stunt Coordinator

I was fortunate enough to meet Dave and some of the other people that make up the MAD team. MAD was my printing account a few years back which meant I made visits to their offices in New York. It is something I will never forget. They even sent me the last issue I worked with them on signed by some of the staff. Truly wonderful people.