What's new

Macworld 2007: Anyone going? Predictions? (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I'll be there all next week. If anyone wants to head over to Thirsty Bear one night for a few beers, send me a PM. For once there doesn't seem to be many sure bets what to expect. The only things I can be positive of is that there will be further info revealed on Leopard and iTV. With all the speculation on the much rumored iPhone (now trademarked by Cisco), I think the stock will nosedive if something along those lines isn't announced. Unless they come out with an entirely new model, I don't expect much in the way of changes for the laptop or desktop systems. Guess we'll find out on Tuesday.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Predictions:

16GB Nano (realistically), fantasy would be 32GB Nano.
At which point I would buy one upon release date.

I would normally predict a speedbump for their Macbook/Macbook Pro/iMac line but I think Intel hasn't come out with new speed chips.

I think the Mac Pro might get a speed bump, if not on the processor, maybe via FSB. I wish they wouldn't use FB-DIMMs. Also might get the four-core (per CPU, so eight total) upgrade. Several sites have shown the new four-core chips work in current Mac Pros.

More universal apps, wouldn't be surprised if Adobe showed some long awaited uni versions of their popular programs like Photoshop, InDesign, etc.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
how soon after the MacWorld announcements do you usually see the new products? I'm contemplating getting a Macbook Pro 17" model, but I'd hate to buy it now and then in 3 months a faster model comes along... but I know at some point you have to bite the bullet and buy the thing.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
It depends. Sometimes products unveiled at Macworld are available that day. Sometimes they'll announce availability within a month. Rarely do products that are going to be delayed longer than that get spotlighted at Macworld. Instead, Apple prefers to hold a "special event" if it's a major product launch. If it's just a product refresh (faster processor, larger hard drive, etc), they usually will just announce it on their website and it's up to you to find out there or on CNET or some other Mac-centric websites. That happened last fall when they switched over from the Core Duo to the Core2 Duo chips. I will say since the Intel transition, product refreshes have been coming much more rapidly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd love to see the iMac line refreshed: the 17" iMac bumped, everything shifted down in price and a new 26" - 30" iMac introduced. :) Or more realistically, improved specs and/or reduced prices.

I've got a 4GB 1G nano and I can't afford anything new. So we don't really need to see a 16GB nano ;)

I'd enjoy something iTV if it's a Tivo killer. But if it can't even compete with Microsoft's Media Center (as is the case so far), yawn.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Here are my "three day wild guess" ;) predictions about the iPod:

1) The 2 GB 2G iPod nano is no more. Prices on the 4 GB and 8 GB nanos drop, and they introduce a 16 GB model.

2) They replace the 30 GB 5.5G iPod with a 40 GB model.

3) They finally introduce a "true" video iPod. It will be about the size of the Samsung Q1 handheld computer, sport a 16:9 aspect ratio display and touchscreen functionality. Storage will either use an 80 GB or 120 GB hard drive.

4) They upgrade the iTunes software to 7.5, mostly as bug fixes and to improve functionality for first-time users.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I'll wager the same, except that they won't drop the price of the current nanos, they'll just make the 16GB model extremely expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks