What's new
World Wide Stereo

M & K Speakers (1 Viewer)

Joe Valha

Stunt Coordinator
I got some high end M & K speakers for my home theater and they are awesome. Why is it that they get virtually no press here?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Darren Boi

Auditioning
M&K makes great speakers... heard a upper-end THX model (can't remember model) at friend's place and they played wonderfully.

Why no press here? Possibly because of the price. It's a bit on the high side, so the number of M&K owners is relatively low compared to lower-cost speakers.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd say the appearance doesn't suit everyone's taste. (black box)

2nd, they are more designed for home theater use and not so much an audiophile/music speaker.

3rd, they cost more due to the THX logo which is is very debated on whether it means anything at all.

Sure they sound good and are used in many high end dedicated home theaters. I just think that they don't offer the best bang per buck for a majority of the people here which is why you don't hear much about them.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Overpriced in the UK too- good value in the US, but basically dollar to pound pricing (ie $2100 MX-350 is £2100), which if you convert £2100 back to dollars equates to $3870:thumbsdown:

Some feel M&K are a bit too bright/forward for their tastes as well.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I don't think they're overpriced in the US. High priced, but that's different. (Heck, a Jetta is overpriced compared to an Elantra, but if you got the dough...) The THX logo adds very little to the cost and does guarantee a level of performance that may be important in a home theater setting.

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
FYI:
I've got the S-150 THX mains and SS-150 Tripole surrounds.

Here's my take:
I think part of the issue is that this model has been out for several years: new products tend to get more press as there are review articles in the magazines.

Also, when I bought mine about a year ago, I went to one dealer M&K dealer that didn't even have a demo set. He was telling me that when they first came out, they were selling like hotcakes. Now, every once and awhile someone will come in asking for them and he'll order them.

It also seems that a lot of the members like to buy from the internet direct manufacturers (SVS, Onix Rockets, Outlaw, etc). I've also got an SVS Ultra that I could not live without.

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the following:

M&K S-150 Mains (Left, Center, Right)
M&K SS-150 Surrounds x 4 (LS, RS, LB, RB)
M&K MX-350 Subwoofer x 2

I chose this system because it simply sounds gorgeous on movie soundtracks. I'm 99% home theater and the are among the best out there. It all started with a trip to the Dolby Labs in California and got to witness them in their pure glory in their theater setup. I've never heard anything like them and have been in love ever since.

The warranty can't be touched (10 year) and their customer service is outstanding (on issues and questions). Another plus.

The THX logo adds very little to the speakers. It still amazes me that people still believe that THX = additional $$. LOL!

M&K makes all kinds of speakers in price ranges that people can afford. Just look at their website. The 750 series is another fantastic line. Even the K9 series has enough bite (pun intended) for theater performance. M&K has been around for 30 years now, and they're all over the industry. I guess you don't see a ton of press here because M&K owners are too busy enjoying their speakers. ;)

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Any one experience the new column surrounds from M&K? I have Martin Logan speakers but these appeal to me as surrounds due to their size and placement flexability.

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I currently own

Mains: S-5000 X 3
Rears: SS-500 X 2

I really love the way they deliver movie and music very dynamic and clear. I love the stands that hold the mains can be rotated left/right up and down to meet most seating positions. They weren't cheap but well worth it. Probably the last speakers I will buy (because I don't have any money left to do so) :b

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Oh come on Simon, it's the ten year warranty, the stands, and most importantly the sound is why you won't be upgrading for a while! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks