What's new

Lucasfilm THX Demo DVD (1 Viewer)

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone:

I would like some of your input regarding these discs that I saw on ebay:

THX DEMO EX - 6.1/7.1 SURROUND Released by Lucasfilm.

Are these legit? They look like something that a retailer would have access to.

Does anyone have one? Would it be a worthwhile addition to my collection?

The $20.00US cost makes it about $32.00CAN.

Thanks for your input gang.

RW

Robert George

Screenwriter
I have one of these and, yes, this is something that was given to retailers. The disc consists of a THX "Tex" trailer in EX, a couple of movie trailers in EX, and a sound effects piece in EX (the most impressive bit on the disc). I think some test tones as well.
I don't consider it worth $20, but that is my opinion. To some I suppose it is.
On the other hand, I also have a disc that contains all the full-length THX theatrical trailers (as of a couple of years ago) in full 5.1 audio. You wouldn't get that one for $20 :D.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Is this the WOW DVD that I saw at CES? I thought this was not even available to retailers yet as the copies that were floating were still incomplete.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Michael:

I don't think this is the "WOW" disc that a few saw at CES. I'm sure the price would be much higher if it were.

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
The contents on this one include:

Broadway 2000, Jungle Sounds, The Astronaut's Wife, Austin Powers - The Spy Who Shagged Me, TEX 7.1 THX EX robot trailer, and some system setup utilities.

Do these titles make it a fair deal at $20.00US, or is there a better demo type disc around?

Thanks for the input.

RW

Robert George

Screenwriter
If you are interested in EX demo material, the "Jungle Sounds" and "Tex" trailer are actually about the best examples of EX I have heard. Worth $20? That is in the wallet of the beholder, so to speak. Speaking as someone who already has this disc (got it for nothing), I'm not sure I'd pay $20 for it. Definitely wouldn't if I didn't have a decent EX system.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
How could it be 7.1 channels when there are no 7.1 processors for consumers available? Even Dolby EX is just 5.1 discrete with "prologic" matrix enhancements.

The only 6.1 discrete format available to consumers at the moment is DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 surround.

Dan

Gruson

Second Unit
Oh man, I have the THX WOW laserdisc and if they converted that to DVD that would kick ass!

Anamorphic and 6.1!

GregK

Screenwriter
Note that the previous Kenwood internet free DVD

also included the THX "Jungle Sounds" along with

the EX tweaked "Tex" trailer, where the robot now

makes a brief stop at the center rear position.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I wrote Lucasfilm about the possible retail availability of a THX demo disc.

The response I received:

"We are in the process of finalizing the DVD demo disc. The agreement we have with our licensees, the manufacturers who licensee our brand and technology, is that we provide the discs to them. Then they are responsible to supplying the DVDs to retailers and dealers. I suggest you contact a

manufacturer of who's THX-certified equipment you sell."

They obviously thought I was a retailer. I haven't the slightest idea why, because I didn't remotely suggest that I was. I simply asked about the demo DVD and if it would be available at retail anytime soon.

At any rate, it looks like there will be a THX demo DVD in the near future. It remains to be seen whether we will all be able to get our hands on it.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks